Frog gigging

New member GREAT! introuduce your self here. tell a little about yourself.

Moderators: GoodOyster, bodysnatcher, Cr0ck1, Iluv2hunt

Frog gigging

Postby SaltTrash » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:48 pm

:brave
Hey Yall
I'm new to the site names Ian but is ya wana call me Salt Trash that's fine.
I moved to Jacksonville Beach about a year and a half ago from Jupiter Fl. I been missing the late nights drinking beers with Friends and gigging frogs. I've heard that there are some great tidle creeks to gig at lower tides on the St Johns. Anyone ever done this? Also I live right near the Guana WMA the water is pretty low in the lake right now and I was thinking about going old school with a head lamp gig and waders. But I aslo have a 15ft flats to gig the tidle creeks too! Anyone wana go? Maybe point me in the right direction? In this summer heat it's nice to get out at night!
SaltTrash
scout

Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Re: Frog gigging

Postby Skunk Ape » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Sounds like fun,I've been tring to find some gigs without any luck. If I weren't leaving this weekend I might take you up on some gigging.
Skunk Ape
Vigil

Postby SaltTrash » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Ape what do you mean been trying to find some gigs? I like To use a nice long piece of bamboo outta a friends yard and just a cheap B and M gig head from walmart. But as you may well know you can order nicer stuff offline.
SaltTrash
scout

Postby GoodOyster » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:40 pm

We used to make gigs from stainless welding rods and big Calcutta cane pole. After we had heavy afternoon rains like we've had lately, we would drive the back roads north of Lakeland near the Green Swamp and shine our Q-Beams on the roadside ditches. Used to get some pretty good size ones.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage
GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Postby Skunk Ape » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:05 am

I've only looked in a few wal-marts and could not find any.There's some lakes in Brooksville that are infested with them.
Skunk Ape
Vigil

Postby nachogrande » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 am

we used to gig for eels and flounder in salt water up north. gig a few of them cottonmouths while your at it and get em oughta there.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
nachogrande
Wood Badger

Postby SaltTrash » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:45 am

I've also got a flounder gigging set up for my boat but that's really a whole different process than frog gigging.
Ape just google frog gigs and you can order offline like I said b and m four prong is what I use but they wear out quick so order a few! Than like oyster said get ya I big cane pole or what ever ya got around I've even used broom sticks but there really too short. I also usually use my q beam or cheap lights from Wally World.
SaltTrash
scout

Postby bodysnatcher » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Welcome :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
bodysnatcher

Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Postby lamehawk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:10 am

Welcome to the site!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!
lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Postby bama29 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:20 pm

goodoyster were still doing it that way and loading up frogs deen still rd moore rd old glade and sometimes we ride richloam wma looking
bama29
scout

Postby GoodOyster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:54 am

bama29 wrote:goodoyster were still doing it that way and loading up frogs deen still rd moore rd old glade and sometimes we ride richloam wma looking

That's cool! Good to know some things can still be done like we used to do it! Another good spot used to be on 33 (Lakeland Hills Blvd) between Combee Rd and I-4. On both sides of the road was a nice wide shoulder leading to a big ditch. When it rained a lot, like it has lately, the whole west side was swampy and the frogs would be back away from the road, but the east side would hold some good ones. The east side got deeper, almost chest deep (I'm over 6 foot). But to get the good ones you gotta get wet! Was a lot of fun back when I was in high school. No telling how that area looks now, I haven't been there in 20+ years. I know they built a golf course and some other stuff, re-routed the roads, etc. I get lost in my own hometown when I go back to visit!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage
GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Postby XD45 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:29 am

welcome
2012 archery-1 doe
XD45
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Postby flhuntfish » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:35 am

Welcome to the site :toast
flhuntfish
Junior Assistant Scout Master