Moderators: GoodOyster, bodysnatcher, Cr0ck1, Iluv2hunt

iron clay peas???

Postby deerhunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:20 pm

can they be used in winter food plots?
deerhunter
scout

Re: iron clay peas???

Postby ALTUCK » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 pm

If the deer don't mow them down, they will last til first frost.
I planted some today along with a mix of rye,wheat and oats, and a mix of winter greens. Figure that I can sacrifice the peas for archery season. I have a place the bears have destroyed 3 feeders in 2 months. So my thinking is plant deer attractants and leave the feeder out of the picture.

Altuck
ALTUCK
scout

Postby Iluv2hunt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:46 am

Like said, they will grow good till the first frost. There is an Australian winter pea that will grow in cold weather. Cereal grains are your best bet for the winter time (rye, wheat, oats)
Soggy Bottom Hunt Club
Iluv2hunt

Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Postby deerhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:41 am

thanks for the info guys
deerhunter
scout

Postby treefarmer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:20 pm

A couple of weeks ago, Deerhunter asked about Iron & Clay peas. Got these pics from a camera that was aimed at a road that enters the I&C pea patch on the northwest side. Acorns are starting to drop and there is a 120 acre soybean field less than 200 yds. from this food plot but they are still working on it. We all know that deer are browsers so it pays to have something that is palatable year round. As stated by Iluv2hunt, the peas will last till frost, by that time a 2 acre plot will have been planted in oats or some such about a hundred yards west of these peas. That food plot is guarded by a shooting house and a year round feeder. We still need rain, the ground is too dry to work and without proper moisture a good stand of winter grazing will be hard to establish. One of the pics shows a spike in velvet with his lips wrapped around the I&C leaves. Out in the patch there are a few blooms but without rain they won't make many peas. We have used I&C peas as a buffer around our garden in years past and they will sometimes reseed themselves and you might get a fair stand of volunteer peas the next spring. Rifle season is still 69 days from today in West Florida, a lot can happen in that length of time. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treefarmer
CONTRIBUTER

Return to FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING