Deer hunting tips for a novice

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

BredFrey
scout

Deer hunting tips for a novice

Post by BredFrey » Mon May 29, 2017 7:50 am

Hey folks, sorry for bringing up such an interesting topic - hahaha. I was wondering what tricks a novice in deer hunting would need to take down the first deer he caught on sight? I hope that one day, I will be the one also helping other people on deer hunting tips and tricks for a novice. Every drop of the tricks and tips matters a lot and it could also help others and not just me.

from BredFrey

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Re: Deer hunting tips for a novice

Post by jtcmedic » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:24 am

I was told to scout scout and scout some more. I am self teaching also and has been a lesson, Florida deer hunting is some of the hardest and rewarding I've been told,
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:35 pm

BredFrey,
I killed my 1st deer over 50 years ago and am still trying to figure 'em out! I read the site you highlighted in your post and it's all good advice, it was probably written by someone hunting deer up north, rather than in Florida.
jtcmedic's advice is on the money, too! Scout, scout and scout some more. Knowing the land will allow you to make the decisions that will allow you to see deer. Food plots or agricultural fields are one way to get an idea of who's eating what and at what time of the day. Game cameras are a great help. Being aware of the wind in a very big issue. Being able to connect with Bambi once he's been located is a given. Be able to shoot the bow, rifle or shotgun with confidence, knowing your limitations will help eliminate crippled/wounded deer and allow you to sleep better at night.
Everyone has a story and advice about deer hunting, pay attention and some of this stuff will come together, then when you get it all figured out an ol' big buck will make you look silly!
Treefarmer

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:13 pm

sit long and look look look no playing on the phone or reading a book.. try a game cam

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:26 pm

I remember wanting to get on the scoreboard & have that first one under your belt. My tip, not just for beginers, would be to take a pause & be sure that this is a deer I want to shoot, & is at a good range/angle/safe backstop/ I'll be able to drag it to the truck from here, BEFORE firing. There are things much worse than going home empty handed, like going home empty handed after crippling & not finding your deer, or killing a big one WAY out there, uphill both ways, and not having a drag rope.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 pm

shoot first then worry about getting it out. You can always carry it out piece by piece.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm

DEER don't know what side of the Mason/Dixon line they are on. Knowing the area, (bedding/feeding/food sources/water/ escape routes etc.) North or South, is some spot on advice.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:10 am

I just strap a game cart to a tree somewhere between my truck and hunting area!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Hell I some times put my cart right under my tree I hate having to walk back to get it all the time. Learn what deer eat

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”