Who's hunting this weekend?

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Supposed to heading up for 1 1/2 day hunt on a private piece just south of Perry. Not really sure with the weather pattern if it is the best call. I can do this weekend, or next. After that I am booked for a couple weeks. Any weather pattern guys have any suggestions. I am usually pretty good at judging the weather. Just a little iffy this time around. I go when I can generally just want to pick the best weekend with a booked schedule. This Saturday looks kinda promising.

P'duck
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Who's hunting this weekend?

Post by P'duck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm already in the cabin and will be on stand by 5:15 in the morning for a 3 day run on hogs and deer this weekend, hoping that the cold snap overnight really gets them moving in the morning and keeps em' moving around all day. Really want to pack my freezer and some outer families with pork and venison.

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by DONY1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 pm

I haven't seen the weather at all but I'll be leading ducks on Saturday and chasing hogs Sunday. All of this down south though. Good luck guys.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Every weekend for me.. Some where some how, Im getting to the woods. But we sure aint had weather worth a crap,so maybe this weekend will stir things up a bit. Good luck, cause the end aint far off.

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Decided not to go this weekend. Opted for next week, but may not due that either. I have a chance to do a whole week of hunting on a WMA for the last week of the month. Not having spent enough time in the Perry area hunting deer. I think my chances might be better hunting where I know the deer will be chasing. Killed a nice 8pt up there last year, and a 6pt the year before.
You fellas braving this wind chill factor. Best of luck.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:43 pm

I bout froze to death this morning fishing. My thumb was so cold I couldn't feel the line on the spool
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 pm

I'll be west of Perry but running dogs. We've been seeing more bucks recently here and there messing with the does again. My dad killed a nice 7pt south of perry running with a small doe earlier this week. We jumped a spike Wednesday that would not break off and leave the does he was with. It should be good as long as the wind will lay.good luck
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:25 am

Doghunter, I could use some advise on deer activity in that area. Since you seem to live, and hunt that area, and I mainly hunt central Fl. WMA's. What do think the peak breed is around there. Consensus from the few I have asked is around the beginning of archery. Also is there a 2nd peak, 3rd peak. I pretty much have the ability to hunt a peice of property up there when ever I want as long as my buddy can get away. Its a long way from pinellas beach area 3 1/2 hours minimum, and a 120 bucks in fuel just to hope I am going at the best time of the year. I'm getting older, and Its harder to compete on the WMA's with each passing year. I could join this piece, and hunt all I want for only $500.00 per season. 4 guys total on a piece basically 1/2 mile square. I haven't researched the area, but it seems quite cheap.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:59 am

CitySlicker wrote:Doghunter, I could use some advise on deer activity in that area. Since you seem to live, and hunt that area, and I mainly hunt central Fl. WMA's. What do think the peak breed is around there. Consensus from the few I have asked is around the beginning of archery. Also is there a 2nd peak, 3rd peak. I pretty much have the ability to hunt a peice of property up there when ever I want as long as my buddy can get away. Its a long way from pinellas beach area 3 1/2 hours minimum, and a 120 bucks in fuel just to hope I am going at the best time of the year. I'm getting older, and Its harder to compete on the WMA's with each passing year. I could join this piece, and hunt all I want for only $500.00 per season. 4 guys total on a piece basically 1/2 mile square. I haven't researched the area, but it seems quite cheap.
I hunt due East of Perry, and they peak chasing is usually Halloween. Having said that, they will hit another gear right about now, if history repeats itself. I will be up there this coming weekend in a WMA for small game opener, and I will guarantee you I will find fresh scrapes and rubs that are only a few days old. 3 years ago I was in a dog lease up there. It was this coming weekend then I watched a buck that had already dropped his antlers bird dog a doe all morning
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Halloween is when I want to be in the woods for most of the Wma's I like to hunt. Allen, are you talking Mayo area, or are you alot closer to Perry now. If so Mayo is probaby 50 miles. I've seen major differences in peak within less than 10 miles away. Florida is flat out strange. Just trying to really pin it down. This place is 8 miles south of Perry right off of 19

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm about 5 miles S of Mayo. If you are 8 miles S of Perry, you are about 20 miles way of the crow from me. That would put you around Salem I would guess

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Right by the mud bog. Gotta pass through the gate to get on the property, and hope there is no event scheduled the same time frame.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Don't get me started on them. They blocked me in the gas station at tennille's with their mud truck trailers. 99.9% of them were drinking and got an attitude when I asked them to move so I could get out

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I bout froze to death this morning fishing. My thumb was so cold I couldn't feel the line on the spool
I was as cold as I've ever been in a tree in Florida Friday....all day. Had to get down and unthaw around 930a. Went back in at 11a....but that's a first for me. Appalachicola.....peak should be close. They are beating the scrapes to death. Every night....one tree had 3 scrapes under it.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Froze me azz off. Going out tonight for the last shot. Been up here since wednesday and this will be the second hunt cause it was either raining or cold as flicks tongue on a flagpole.

Sent from my killphone.

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”