New DMU's and antler restrictions

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

New DMU's and antler restrictions

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:48 am

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: New DMU's and antler restrictions

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:57 pm

yea i really don't care for that.

Antlers really mean nothing to me

ario
scout

Post by ario » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Ok.. I am not clear on this. I hunt in Nassau county which would be DMU 6. The new rule is "antlered deer must now have at least three antler points (each point at least an inch long) on one side or have a main antler beam length of at least 10 inches to be legal to take." Does that mean if a 3 pointer steps out, I have to let him walk or does that mean that if a buck with only one antler has to have at least 3 points? Does that also mean that if a spike with say 11" spikes would be legal to harvest? If so, how am I going to keep him still to measure his antlers before I can shoot? Can someone clear this up for me.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:37 pm

ario wrote:Ok.. I am not clear on this. I hunt in Nassau county which would be DMU 6. The new rule is "antlered deer must now have at least three antler points (each point at least an inch long) on one side or have a main antler beam length of at least 10 inches to be legal to take." Does that mean if a 3 pointer steps out, I have to let him walk or does that mean that if a buck with only one antler has to have at least 3 points? Does that also mean that if a spike with say 11" spikes would be legal to harvest? If so, how am I going to keep him still to measure his antlers before I can shoot? Can someone clear this up for me.

yes 3 point 4 point might have to walk it needs to be 3 on one side 1/2 of a 6 or better
yes a long cow horn spike can be taken,\\

well you need to judge before you shoot.

ario
scout

Post by ario » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:51 pm

WOW.. That sucks! I am going to have to decide what I am going to do next season. I may not renew my lease and go back to hunting up in GA. Much easier up there 10 does, two bucks (one at least 4 pointer), a bear, 3 gobblers and all the hogs you like.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:19 pm

Wow! I get the best of both worlds... I hunt in a club that is buck restricted and it allows the bucks to grow in size and yet I own 10 acers in the middle of a hunting club that I can still kill a 4 point if I choose to. Although the doe days have shorten I kill most of my meat during Bow season.

:saluting
Bossman

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Bossman wrote:Wow! I get the best of both worlds... I hunt in a club that is buck restricted and it allows the bucks to grow in size and yet I own 10 acers in the middle of a hunting club that I can still kill a 4 point if I choose to. Although the doe days have shorten I kill most of my meat during Bow season.

must be Georgia I don't think I saw any area in fl that's not under the 3 on one side now for all fl?

ario
scout

Post by ario » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Bossman wrote:Wow! I get the best of both worlds... I hunt in a club that is buck restricted and it allows the bucks to grow in size and yet I own 10 acers in the middle of a hunting club that I can still kill a 4 point if I choose to. Although the doe days have shorten I kill most of my meat during Bow season.

From the looks of it, you will only be able to continue that if your land is in Zone A.

ario
scout

Post by ario » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Just thought of something. You could shoot a 4 pointer if his main beam was 10" or longer.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:42 pm

ario wrote:

From the looks of it, you will only be able to continue that if your land is in Zone A.
He is in DMU c3, which is a fork horn rule
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:46 pm

My lease is in c3, and we have been 3-on-one-side for a long time. Even though we are going to be in the fork horn area, we are staying with the way we have been managing it

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:54 pm

the only problem I see with this is not enough wardens to enforce it. I know for a fact of people and places were this aint gonna mean nothing
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:27 am

bellyacher wrote:the only problem I see with this is not enough wardens to enforce it. I know for a fact of people and places were this aint gonna mean nothing
x2
I also think the groups running dogs will have a hard time counting points? Its hard enough to make sure its a forked horn, now they have to make sure there is 3 on one side in some places.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:46 am

Yep. I have 2 huge dog leases, plus small still hunt leases, and a large WMA all on one stretch of the road. Haven't seen a FWC officer in at least 3 seasons

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Won't make much difference for someone who doesn't kill anything year after year! "This guy"

Side note, that's a good lookin dog there Allen!

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”