Newborn fawn

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Newborn fawn

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Friday I spent some time out in the woods messing around. My buddy couldn't go up this weekend so he asked me to pull his game cams. I went into one of his areas on the 4 wheeler, got his camera, and came right back out. On the way out the trail, I had to slam on brakes to keep from running over this little fawn. It was "standing" right in the middle of the trail. I use the word standing loosely, because it was having a hard time getting its legs under it. It was obviously only a couple hours old at the most. It was still wet from delivery in spots, and had umbilical cord hanging still. I stopped just long enough to snap a couple pics, then shooed it out of the way so I could get by and then I let it be as it was obvious it was scared to death. Interesting point....I counted back 200 days and that puts the date of conception around September 1st. Very early to say the least as our rut was mid October.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Newborn fawn

Post by treefarmer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Great pictures, especially the 1st one! I read some where a few years back that whitetails have been known, in Florida, to give birth year round. If this is correct, a buck ain't got to have antlers to service a doe. We see spotted fawns in Nov. and Dec. in the panhandle. Again those are great pictures, I'll show them to my grandsons when they come in for spring break.
Treefarmer

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Now those are some treasures for sure to be found on a game cam!

I've also come to the conclusion that the "magic time" in Florida isn't what seems to be accepted.

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by drgn4sr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:56 pm

very nice pics. a blow up on the wall at camp would be a great reminder of what it's all about.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:57 pm

They make great pets!

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:27 am

nice pics
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”