Deer Browse and Cover

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Gblack15
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Deer Browse and Cover

Post by Gblack15 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:20 pm

Ok Guys, I have quite successfully deer hunted just about every WMA in central Florida over the last 15 or so years and most of that success has been related to finding places where the Does are and where the oaks are. This year I am on some new ground in an old familiar WMA. Most of it is Pines and scrub during my summer scouting I have seen lots of blackberries ans wild blueberries along with common undergrowth and vines. this area seems to have a huge population of deer year round based on some intel from friend and several sheds I found.

I have very little experience hunting pines an palmettos so I am looking for ideas on what food might be available during fall months. Right now I plan to focus on transition areas where pines meet palmettos or pasture and areas like cypress heads that are wet. I should also add that right now they just finished burning several hundred acres of brush that may be prime browse this fall but very open and near the road. I would also like to hear how some others might approach a hunting plan for this area.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Deer Browse and Cover

Post by treefarmer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:53 am

My early days hunting was in palmettos, pine and cypress strands. It seemed to me that watchin' an edge was always the place to be. This time of the year you should be able to see old rubs and knowing that they are sometimes used year after year would be a good indicator for a good spot to ambush ol' Bambi when the season opens, especially if y'alls season coincides with the rut. Fresh scrapes are a good place to watch.
Deer work the existing food sources, gall berry patches always seem to interest deer, this is would be a good place to figure an ambush site. You mentioned "scrub", sometimes the low scrub oaks will have enough acorns to create a hot spot.
Climbing stands always made a lot of sense, especially on a WMA. I used one for a lot of years on leased land, till Momma said I was too old to be climbing like that :crip .
You'll figure it out, appears you've had success in the past, it'll fall in place this year too.
Treefarmer

Gblack15
scout

Post by Gblack15 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks, treefarmer. My in-laws live just off 231 on the Florida side.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:33 pm

That would have to be in Jackson County, probably north of Campbellton. That country is full of big deer, plenty of groceries on all those big farms!
Treefarmer

Gblack15
scout

Post by Gblack15 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:31 pm

actually in campbellton. on SR2

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”