ID

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

reel_spoiled
scout

ID

Post by reel_spoiled » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:04 pm

I'm no botanist and maybe I should know what this is as a deer hunter, but I need help with this plant ID. I've never hunted food plots nor agg and my neighbor just planted this. Can someone help me properly ID this? Also, will deer/hogs eat it and be drawn to it? It was midday when I rolled by so I didn't expect to see deer/hogs, but my guess is around dark thirty there may be some animals coming to investigate/feed. Thoughts?

Co-Founder of DRY SWAMP Hunt Club

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: ID

Post by swissk31 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:02 am

well I'm no guru but I can tell ya it's some type of bean crop perhaps a soybean.

reel_spoiled
scout

Re: ID - updates

Post by reel_spoiled » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:55 pm

All,

I snapped a few more pics a week later. Looks like substantial growth in one week. The rains are sure helping out! Hopefully, someone will be able to ID. Thanks for lookin.

Co-Founder of DRY SWAMP Hunt Club

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: ID

Post by treefarmer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:13 am

Hey reel_spoiled!
You need to go ahead and ask your neighbor what in the world did he plant? Swissk31 was the only one brave enough to venture a guess. When she said soybeans I thought they just don't quite fit the bill, leaves are too elongated and that bloom is not what we generally see. Wider leaves, much smaller blooms, just not what I've seen or grown. However that doesn't mean squat, newly developed varieties are always on the market. She may have it nailed down! 'Kinda like the cow business, I used to know all the breeds as we were in a small commercial cow/calf operation but now I think and say Charolaise, somebody says "Oh no, that's a ........". Always somethin' new bein' developed from what the Lord put here to start with.
The 2nd set of pictures show pods on the stems, very much like how soybeans develop.
Going to be interesting to find out :dtect !
If the deer are workin' the edges it's a good thing, they'll hang up and watch before they hit the field, good place to pop ol' Bambi before he completely ruins your neighbors crop :rolleyes .
Treefarmer

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”