Vanishing Deer / Pattern change?

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Gblack15
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Vanishing Deer / Pattern change?

Post by Gblack15 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:45 pm

I hunted my favorite WMA again this year and drew a big Nothing. Scouted my butt off found lots of sign, put up 6 cameras for 2 weeks, pulled the cards after first 2 weeks and again 3 days before the hunt. Picked the spots with good activity for the first two weeks on camera and set stands. I set morning and afternoon stands so I would not burn out any one location. Three days of hard hunting and not a single deer on camera or in front of me. Those of you who know me, know I am meticulous about scent control and stand setup. This is the second year in a row this has happened. I have killed a dozen deer on this WMA in various areas. Do you think the deer are just so smart they know when hunting season opens? The only think I can figure out is the roads are normally closed during the off season. Maybe they are spooked once they hear the vehicles? I am already walking 3/4 of a mile to the stand and would have thought that was far enough they would not care. Your thoughts?

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: Vanishing Deer / Pattern change?

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:31 am

Sounds like east of Orlando all 3 wma nothing being killed. No deer being seen.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:38 am

I swear they have an internal clock.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:51 am

I have been talking with a number of hunters and alot think the rut is later this year. My camp has taken 3 bucks since the bow opener and none were showing the normal signs. Perhaps that supermoon we had has something to do with it. With that being said, the next 7 to 10 days we are expecting some good action.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:11 pm

the pattern you are seeing is normal . Happens every year . As hunters start scouting and bumping deer they figure it out . They start heading for deeper cover . I generally like to use other hunters , by having them push deers my way . Go in deeper and stay longer . Or just hunt places that most people don't think hold deer . You'll be amazed the bucks that are shot close to roads . I've killed plenty of those . I have seen plenty of deers(bucks) this season . But I do lots of scouting and has always paid off . So far I have 3 bucks , 1 doe , and a hog . Also got my son on his 1st buck . Passed up a few and couple of misses in archery . Scouting is the key . Lot's of looking at Google Earth and figure them out . Then sit and wait . Good Luck
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:20 pm

ok were I am hunting normal for deer to be seen in pastures morning and evening. Seriously, I normally see 30 a day driving in and out. Normal at this time to see bucks midday running across pastures daily until about BP starts. Then the bucks would disappear but not the does. Even on the road into this place you normally see 10-20 in people yards and pastures. So far this week 3 young deer- small. I sat over rubs, food, raining acorns, sign scrapes look untouched.
I thinking there out of cycle. ? frustrating

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:36 pm

Proven fact breeding occurs generally same time every year....d4cnt speaks the truth.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 pm

In oct, the deer where I am hunting run crazy. Some thing is off changed. So this pattern is not normal, normal is like I described. So if he is hunting the same general area it may all be connected. Yes fl breeding happen generally at these times that why you some times you may harvest deer with a fetus on opening day.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Sounds like normal public land hunting to me. Just gotta keep at it.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:01 pm

ok so all the scrapes look old unused fading away. So I think this is the first breeding period (slow movement) . plus talked to a land owner and he said they already ran and chased. That was in September, so some were around Octobers end November the does should go back in estrus (28 days). If I understand the cycle right. There are acorns everywhere.
so what your thoughts

Gblack15
scout

Post by Gblack15 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Too many acorns.. Find a more preferred food source

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:36 pm

There is not that many acorns. I see deer graze in the pastures when there been way more acorns. I remember year when you pull up on dry ground with the air boat and it was like ice because there was so many acorns. I cut the belie open on over 30 deer checking for what they eat.

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”