A Plan Comes Together

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

A Plan Comes Together

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:46 pm

With the timber crew continuing to cut around our lease, I took the opportunity last weekend to hang a couple of new gun stands. I decided I would get right up behind their most recent cut around one of our largest cypress heads. I put down a feeder and backed off about 120 yards from the head, I had a clear 180 degree view. It felt like a good spot and it was so thick prior to cutting, we could never get back in there. My plan was to be there Saturday morning, rain or shine. Of course, nothing is that easy. Had a few issues to deal with.

I decided to make a last minute swap of scopes on my long guns and my trusty H&R Ultraslug ended up with an old used 1x4x20 Leupold. I was running out of time to get everything sighted in but made it by an indoor range late Friday afternoon and was able to throw some lead down range at 50 yds. 4 shots later I was ready to go. It really likes the Hornaday SST's in 2 3/4" 12 ga

I planned to take the whole family out to camp Friday night so I could get an early start, nope, daughter was taking the SAT Saturday morning. Somehow talked my wife into taking care of all that and let me roll out to camp by myself. We had so many things going on, I couldn't get out Friday night. Oh well.

4:30 am Saturday I roll out from the house, make it to the tree @ 6:00 am on the dot. Fog was heavy and low to the ground, hard to see anything. Wasn't there 15 minutes and a 4pt walks in from the north. He's 20 yds out from the feeder when a pine cone drops, you would of thought someone shot him, he took off like his hair was on fire, didn't stop till he ran back into the head. Never to be seen again. For the next 3 hours nothing is moving at all and I am about to call it a morning and go grab some breakfast.

At 9:15, this guy comes rolling in from the south, head down, on his way to get somewhere. Put the scope on him at a distance and thought he was a big 4pt missing brow tines. Kept watching him and he's headed for the feeder. The wind had picked up and was blowing from me to the feeder, I figured once he got there I would be busted. True to form, he arrives at the feeder, throws his head up in the air and looks right in my general direction. At this point the scope is on him, I see the crab claw, confirm he meets our 5pt or better minimum requirement and fire. He was quartering towards, jump and ran after the shot right at me. I loaded another round and watched as he stopped within 20 yards. I put the scope on him again just as he starts to wobble and drops to his knees. Within a minute rolls over and stops moving.

I have had some deer shrink once they have hit the ground over the years, this one however got bigger. I was surprised to walk up on a solid 9 pt, threw him on the scale and weighed in at 120 lb even. A great way to open gun season here at the lease.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: A Plan Comes Together

Post by Bossman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Nice... very nice buck!

:saluting
Bossman

ario
scout

Post by ario » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:31 pm

Very nice....congrats.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Very nice great job
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:25 pm

nice

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:07 pm

Way to go there Reaper! A good detailed report, made me feel like I was right there! :clap
Treefarmer

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:57 pm

very nice buck , congrats
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 pm

sweet deal
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Awesome!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:30 am

a slug at 120 yards, good shooting, congrats. A deer that runs towards you after shot, priceless. Maybe you should have left the tailgate down. :rock_on
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”