Opening Day Success

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

reel_spoiled
scout

Opening Day Success

Post by reel_spoiled » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:24 am

Got on a new lease this year and late at that (end of July)......the family and I worked every weekend that we could scouting, checking trail cams and hanging stands. A few of our stands were on the outskirts of some cypress swamps that had good sign but we thought that they may be un-huntable due to Hurricane Irma's rains. Turns out, some stands were in knee deep water after the storm.

Well, my father and I decided to sit the two stands with the best sign and see how the water affected movement. We didn't hunt the morning for fear of bumping out anything in the area with us pushing water in the dark to get to our stands so we had a chance to sleep in and get our heads in the game for the afternoon hunt.

We went out early Saturday afternoon as we knew it would take some additional time to get to our stands that are approximately .75 mile from where we park. We took our time and waded to our stands to be set by 3:15 or so.

Around 5:15 I had a dark rack fork horn that was bedded about 50-60 yards from me on some high ground walk directly to me. He was a legal buck and I was excited to get a shot. However, he walked right to me and ended up at 10 yards but didn't offer me a chance to move without being seen. He took a turn south and walked directly away from me as I listened to him trudge through the water for about another 100 yards.

Around 6:45 I heard something walking from the south towards me, tromping in the water. I figured that it may be the same fork horn coming back to bed and I stood up and got ready. As i listened, I worked to find the source of the sound in my nocks. I eventually saw the ripples in the water and finally a racked buck. As soon as I saw him I knew it wasn't the fork horn and that he was a better buck. I watched as he walked closer and closer and finally decided to turn east. As he turned to walk east I stopped him broadside with a grunt at 30 yards. I let it fly and the arrow flew true.

He mule kicked and ran tail down until he piled up about 30 yards away. I got to watch him fall from the stand. Was great to not have to try to track him in water. 100 grain slick tricks performed flawlessly again.

Thanks for lookin'

Stand

Sign

Buck

Co-Founder of DRY SWAMP Hunt Club

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Opening Day Success

Post by treefarmer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:17 pm

Hey, reel_spoiled!
I loved reading your account of the successful hunt but all 7 of your posted pictures are only showing a message from photobucket about up dating your account. Sure would love to see Bambi's pictures.
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Me too! Always good to see the spoils of your labor. :>) That photobucket thing is a shame. Basically now you have to pay to send your photos out. I quit using them. You can upload directly from your computer now. The old FOHAF site wouldn't allow it.

reel_spoiled
scout

Post by reel_spoiled » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:52 am

Hopefully this works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Co-Founder of DRY SWAMP Hunt Club

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:03 am

Great pictures! Almost tells the story without words. We won't see rubs or scrapes in the Panhandle for couple of months. Two weeks ago, the 1st spotted fawn showed up on the cameras.
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 am

Congrats bud!!!

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”