What to do? Lease guest took wrong deer?

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

What to do? Lease guest took wrong deer?

Post by Glowworm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:07 am

Hello,

I have been toiling with this issue and wanted to reach out to the community to see how to handle this. A friend is on a lease, he worked hard to get it ready. He had some friends help him as well, in hopes to be invited to hunt. The friend allowed his buddy to hunt and hunt on his stand. With one stipulation, there was one deer that could not be harvested. The deer was young and needed to grow a few seasons. The guest agreed and got in his stand. At the end of the hunt, the guest had harvested the deer he was asked not to shoot. The deer was legal by state law but was not to be hunted because they wanted it to grow. When asked what happened the guest stated that he thought it was a different buck, due to the diminishing light at the end of the day. Needless to say, the lease friend was not happy and feels disappointed. The guest friend wants to come back later in the year to hunt again with his son?
New season coming up!

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Re: What to do? Lease guest took wrong deer?

Post by JBUG308 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 am

Its tough to tell someone not to shoot a particular buck. Did he show him trail camera pictures of the deer before he sat in the stand? If it was a very unique buck (drop tines, non-typical) I could see where this would cause a problem, but if it was say a regular 6 or 8 point - I can see the hunter making a mistake. You don't get many opportunities to get a buck, plus if he wandered onto a neighboring property - POW - someone else may not be as picky. If they are good friends they will work it out. I'd let him bring his son back on doe day and tell them to shoot a doe only - if they shoot a buck, then you know what kind of friend they are.

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:06 am

Yes, The buck was unique it had ONE antler that barely forked, the other was missing due to some altercation.
Yes, the guest had seen pics of the single antlered buck, it was even named. The guest claimed he thought it was the 6 point we saw on camera. Clearly, you can tell the difference between a single antlered deer against a 6 point.
New season coming up!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:32 am

I wouldn't let a deer stand in the way of a good friendship (if its a good friendship), its only a deer no one owns it. There was no guarantee it would be around next year anyway.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

WHO is "they", did the other lease members not want the deer shot, or the 1 member only? As a guest he should have respected eithers wishes. If shooting the forbidden deer got the member in hot water with the lease, then sorry, no more hunting for him or his kid. A guests actions reflect on the person that invited him. A guest wanting to bring his own guest his 2nd time there??? It sounds like the "it was a mistake" story isn't holding up. How good a friend are you, and are you buying the story? How forgiving are you? The member is paying for himself to hunt there, does he mind paying for his buddy & now the buddy's kid? A lot of drama from just 1 hunt, I could see this going downhill, OR NOT???
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:59 pm

to me it foolishness its legal.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 am

IF IT'S BROWN, IT'S DOWN? All well & good if legal & the shooter were on public land or HIS OWN lease. HE WAS A GUEST & should have respected the wishes/rules/requests of his host or the lease regardless if it were legal or not. The leases place/their rules, don't like em, play elsewhere.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 am

Guests have to obey rules.. bottom line.. when i had guests at my lease i would tell them kill hogs only..

Cause my luck the big buck ive been watching all year will prob step out when hes in the stand that 1 time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”