The honey hole

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

The honey hole

Post by Bossman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:00 pm

It is always a challenge when you go out during the summer scouting and find a buck that you plan to target during the coming season. Or maybe you have pasted on a buck the year before and need to setup your cameras and find out just where that buck it that you left the year before. This last summer I had both situations come into play. First a pi bald buck that I had watched for 3 years and was thinking that he should be an 8 point this year. Now I just needed to find out just where he was going to be using. Then I found a big body 8 point that I put on my hit list. I had several other deer at this location but only had this buck come into the area twice. I had planned to take vacation the entire black powder to target these two bucks. The first was trying the pi bald which I knew wouldn't be to hard because he's been in the same place for 3 years. I hadn't placed any cameras out because I wanted to stay out of the area as long as possible until I started hunting. I hunted for him for about 4 days before I found him and to my surprise he was still only a 5 point maybe a 6 point be he has let me down this year because he has been doing so good now has slowed down. The rest of black powder I saw several bucks and had many opportunities to kill other bucks but none on my hit list. The first weekend of gun season I carried my daughters. I put them in the stand hoping that they might have a chance to see the ole buck that I had not yet. All weekend they saw a plenty of deer but not the ole buck on the hit list. Last weekend I tried another stand that is about 100 yards away in the direction that I thought he might be coming from. At 6:30 I had deer starting to feed by me, and from then on all morning I had deer I sight at all times. Anywhere from 1 to 8 deer at one time. There were small bucks, spikes and four points in the group maybe a 6 or two. Finally at 9:30 I see thru the woods at a distance I see a deer and I knew right a way that's a shooter buck simply by the size of the body. Then I see a second deer coming in from a different direction and he also was a big bodied deer. I couldn't see them well enough to tell which one is the biggest when he charges off. What he did was run the other buck off then came back. At this point I knew which one was boss, the only thing was he was still in the thick and I didn't have an open shot. So I used my mouth and grunted a couple of times loud and it got his attention. Then I gave him one longer and slightly deeper grunt. He turn and walked into the open and came broad side at 150 yards. One shot and he ran about 50 yards. It is pretty awesome to have pictures and videos of a buck before the season then be able to hunt him down.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/AtqNEgG4sX0[/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: The honey hole

Post by treefarmer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Good job, Bossman! The youtube video was neat. Glad you got a good one.
We are wet, wet, wet in the Panhandle and with all the hurricane damage things are sure different. I'm gettin' too old to be in the road clearing business with a chainsaw.
Keep bustin' them good ones!
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:08 pm

good going man~ nice buck!!

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Well done boss man nice buck
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 am

nice buck Bossman. The second pic looks like that buck may have a touch of piebald in him. Id like to see more pics of him
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”