Grandson's 1st deer

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Grandson's 1st deer

Post by treefarmer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:26 am

Our home place was turned upside down by Hurricane Michael. The grandson's shooting house is inaccessible, the big shooting house over looking the Rye and the clover is missing part of the roof, not really a problem but the shots are usually 100 yards or more. So we utilized a spot on our lease for the boys to hunt during the Thanksgiving trip.
We went to the woods around 3:30 Thursday afternoon and sat in a little utility trailer that has been turned into a blind. We sat for about 45 minutes and Christian said he could hear something walking to the west of our stand. We are looking north into 2 shooting lanes, one is down through an old clay pit, the other is up and to the west on the high side of the clay pit. Finally spotted a tall horned buck with main beams tips that appeared to over lap. He finally came out about 30 yards from us and immediately turned north and never gave us a side view. In a little while, Christian said I hear another deer. Sure enough another buck was following. He must have saw movement in the stand and took forever to come out. He then started walking north, now both bucks have their butts facing us. The 1st deer started looking to the east by just turning his head, the smaller one started looking also and he turned to watch several does approaching from the east. When he turned he presented a broad side shot for Christian. He took his shot and all the deer ran east. The buck he shot at didn't seem to flinch, just took off wide open like the rest of them. Christian asked, "Granddaddy, did I hit him?" I asked him what he saw when he pulled the trigger, he said it was on his shoulder. So we walk up the lane until we find blood. For some reason he said, "I must have gut shot him." I pointed out why I didn't think so and showed him a piece of lung. I knew there was a dead deer probably not too far down below the clay pit. I started following and found a little blood and then stood to the side and let Christian figure it out. He soon said, "I see him, Granddaddy!"
A few pictures to share this 1st deer event:
DSCN5327r.jpg
DSCN5328r.jpg
DSCN5332r.jpg
DSCN5334r.jpg
DSCN5344r.jpg
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Re: Grandson's 1st deer

Post by jtcmedic » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:31 pm

That is awesome, tell him congratulations, well done
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Christian did a fine job on his first buck, it's a good starter buck and won't be real hard to top it. I don't think it's a good thing to take a young kid out on their first buck killing and put them on a record sized buck. Then it's years before they ever kill a deer as big if ever. Tell Christian congrats!
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:07 pm

good stuff man~~~~ love to see kids kill something.. that's what this forum is all about

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”