Discuss all your Hog Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Hog gun suggestions?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu May 09, 2013 6:31 pm

^^ Thanks Joe
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:10 pm

I use slugs, it drops them or they go just a little bit with a good blood trail. I have pulled to much old buckshot out of hogs I have dropped with a slug to recommend it especially with a 20 gauge.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 pm

next to the right gun and load, you need to know a bit of the game animals anatomy and the best places to put the bullet for diff angles. a poorly placed shot from any gun is likely gonna be a lost/wounded animal. it's good that you are asking ?'s a sign of a good hunter to be imo.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Hog gun suggestions?

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Neck shot with a bullet. DRT 100% of the time.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:Thats everyones preference. All the meat taste good if cared for and prepared right.
Is that why you're famous for HBS? :chef

FLoutdoorsman
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by FLoutdoorsman » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 pm

swissk31 wrote:I use slugs, it drops them or they go just a little bit with a good blood trail. I have pulled to much old buckshot out of hogs I have dropped with a slug to recommend it especially with a 20 gauge.
So if I'm gonna go with slugs, do I need to get a rifled barrel?
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~ Irish Blessing

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Fri May 10, 2013 1:01 am

FLoutdoorsman wrote:Ok, thanks. What size buckshot would be best? Most of the ones I've seen are about the size of the larger one in your avatar, give or take a few pounds...
IMO I would leave the buckshot at home. slugs or a better option. as for the gun, yes they have been taken with everything from 22lr to a 500 S&W. for a noobie IMO Id use a 20 or 12ga shotgun pump or semi auto. As for rifles, what ever floats your boat and fits you good. some will be better than others. I like a carbine length for walking. there easier to handle in thicker stuff with there shorter size. I use a Winchester 30-30 or my Remington 742 in 30-06. Also you can use a pistol. anything from 357 and up again IMO..Best thing to use is something that fits you right,your comfortable with and proficient with. Also read all the posts here,there will be a lot of good info,but in the end you will have to make up your own mind on what to use for weapon and ammo. good luck
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 am

FLoutdoorsman wrote:
swissk31 wrote:I use slugs, it drops them or they go just a little bit with a good blood trail. I have pulled to much old buckshot out of hogs I have dropped with a slug to recommend it especially with a 20 gauge.
depends on the slugs you use. some can be used in a smooth bore,and other only in a rifled barrel. either or will do the job.just use the right ones for the weapon you choose. My 20ga is a smooth bore and my 12ga is rifled and I use the hornady SST slugs for rifled barrels in it
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Hog gun suggestions?

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 am

Kortsman wrote:
Cr0ck1 wrote:Thats everyones preference. All the meat taste good if cared for and prepared right.
Is that why you're famous for HBS? :chef
Thats bodysnatchers recipe!

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:43 am

FLoutdoorsman wrote:
The distances at which you will most likely be shooting (less than 50 yards), you do not need the rifled barrel and expensive sabot combination. I grew up hunting deer with a smoothbore Remington 870 12 gauge (No rifles in Indiana) and killed dozens of deer out to 60-70 yards with it.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri May 10, 2013 7:02 am

+ 1, save the money. the idea is to use something that will make the projectile spin. a rifled bbl makes any thing spin and better ammo for one of those would be the sabot ammo which is a bullet inside a sleeve that falls away after leaving the bbl. they have better range and accuracy but can cost up to 3+ $ each. a rifled slug has rifling on the bullet to make it spin and can be fired from a smoothbore, but you get 1/2 the range and 1/2 the price. plus the smoothbore is better suited for buckshot.

FLoutdoorsman
scout

Post by FLoutdoorsman » Fri May 10, 2013 9:54 pm

nachogrande wrote:+ 1, save the money. the idea is to use something that will make the projectile spin. a rifled bbl makes any thing spin and better ammo for one of those would be the sabot ammo which is a bullet inside a sleeve that falls away after leaving the bbl. they have better range and accuracy but can cost up to 3+ $ each. a rifled slug has rifling on the bullet to make it spin and can be fired from a smoothbore, but you get 1/2 the range and 1/2 the price. plus the smoothbore is better suited for buckshot.
So the only thing a shotgun with a rifled barrel has on a smoothbore is extended range?

FLoutdoorsman
scout

Post by FLoutdoorsman » Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Also, what choke tube should be used with slugs in a smoothbore?

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Hog gun suggestions?

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Open choke.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat May 11, 2013 6:34 am

correct the rifled bbl will give greater range, some ammo claim 200 yds, idk about that, but 100 for sure and maybe 200 if the gun/scope/shooter are up to it. rifled bbl,s are thicker, much heavier and more money. imo a shorter bbl'd smoothbore 20-24" with removable choke tubes and an open rifle type sight. would be good for hogs and turkey. a shotgun with the short bbl and a 2nd bbl longer 28" is ideal and not a lot of $ and you could hunt anything. and shoot trap.

Return to “THE PIGGY CHASE (HOG HUNTING) FORUM”