Hog gun suggestions?

Discuss all your Hog Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by fishindad » Sat May 11, 2013 7:27 pm

My Mossberg 500 is dead on with a slug and smooth bore barrel. Now... The shooter... That's a different issue all together. Lol. That's why I just got a trigger stick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: Hog gun suggestions?

Post by nachogrande » Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 am

especially in hunting, I'd avoid using the terms ALWAYS, NEVER, 100% OF THE TIME or GARANDAMTEED. it's a jinx and not true for all times places and situations. being flexible with an alternate or back up plan often will pay off.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:26 pm

FLoutdoorsman wrote:Also, what choke tube should be used with slugs in a smoothbore?
Open choke or get a barrel designed for slugs that has rifled sights instead of the bead sight.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun May 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Get you an AR-15 in .223 with 30 round mag. I am told they will kill a hog in most any scenerio! LMFAO!

12 Ga with slugs. Smooth bore or rifled bore. The only difference is accuracy and distance.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:39 pm

guns or over-rated... I only use throwing stars for hog hunting

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun May 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I use an atlatl
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

FLoutdoorsman
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by FLoutdoorsman » Sun May 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I use an atlatl
Lol, I was actually thinking about trying to make one of those (not for hog hunting, I just thought it'd be cool).
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~ Irish Blessing

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:18 pm

M12Gunboy wrote: 12 Ga with slugs. Smooth bore or rifled bore. The only difference is accuracy and distance.
and cost!

I was looking into buying a rifled barrel and scope for my 12 gauge because I do some deer hunting in Indiana (used to be shotgun/muzzleloader only) but they changed the laws to allow rifles chambered in handgun cartridges....so I went to .44 mag rifles instead.

IMO, the cost of a rifled barrel plus a scope and sabots.....you might as well save up for a couple extra weeks and buy yourself a rifle, unless you are hunting shotgun only areas.

EDIT:

I just looked at the cost of smoothbore slug barrels and it ain't much different than a rifled one. I've never shot slugs out of long barrels so I can't really say anything about it...only issue I see is the bead sight...but that can be fixed with a red dot sight or something along those lines.

That being said, I still vote for saving up and getting a decent lever gun. .30-30 or .44 or whatever (skip over a .357). Can't beat 'em for 99% of the hunting folks do in this state.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 am

a couple of wording corrections, yes I'm splitting hairs but it may help newbie. no choke tube is gonna be labeled OPEN, that would be a cylinder choke or improved cylinder choke to use in smoothbores for slugs. and bbl's may be rifled. NOT sights. an open "rifle type" sight would go on a bbl. lands and grooves on a sight would make them blurry and hard to see, J.K. YES I'm onion busting and nit picking, but correct, sorry.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 am

I'm only sticking my nose in here cuz some gun store employees live to try and make people look and feel foolish. using the correct terms, prevent this. good luck.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 am

the cost of rifled slug bbl.'s varies greatly from brand to brand and type to type. 1 may be simply drilled and tapped for a scope with no rifle sights on it, another has both, yet another uses a cantilever (which imo vibrates like a tuning fork, some love them). a Mossberg rifled bbl d&t'd with open rifle sight I'd guess app 130$-150$, my Benelli sbe rifled bbl was 450$ back in the late 90's.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 am

nachogrande wrote:a couple of wording corrections, yes I'm splitting hairs but it may help newbie. no choke tube is gonna be labeled OPEN, that would be a cylinder choke or improved cylinder choke to use in smoothbores for slugs. and bbl's may be rifled. NOT sights. an open "rifle type" sight would go on a bbl. lands and grooves on a sight would make them blurry and hard to see, J.K. YES I'm onion busting and nit picking, but correct, sorry.
lol Yes you are correct, Nacho. Thanks for being the gun grammar police. I should have said "rifle style sights" or "iron sights."
nachogrande wrote:I'm only sticking my nose in here cuz some gun store employees live to try and make people look and feel foolish. using the correct terms, prevent this. good luck.
Doesn't seem like the gun store employees are the only ones. :rolleyes

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon May 13, 2013 6:09 pm

your poor advice could have wasted a lot of the newbies time looking for an "open" choke which doesn't exactly exist. yes maybe someone would have known what he needed, or maybe he would have gotten grief for it. if trying to help a newbie makes me the grammar police, I can live with that. I do believe I prefaced everything with I was splitting hairs, onion busting, J.K. and sticking my nose in, so don't get yours out of joint about it. I don't know how more gently I could have handled it without hurting your delicate feelings.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Nacho, being the expert that you are when it comes to "Hog Guns"....please share with us some pictures of the hogs you've killed and the stories/details about which guns you've used. Please use proper grammar and terminology to educate us. Also, when are you publishing your book? I'd like a signed copy.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 am

a close range deer gun is not much diff at all from a hog gun. and in that area I do have some exp as I've done that longer than you have been alive. I've been the first to admit I am a complete failure (except 1) at killing hogs. I did manage to get a decent one in my first few attempts ever hog hunting, on a wma alone and without any help or advice from anyone. granted there was 'BEGINERS LUCK" or maybe some kind of reward for being such a nice guy and living such a clean, sin free life. and I seriously doubt any of you would have passed on a gimmie just like it. YES I did have to step out of the truck to make the shot, and pics were posted if you need proof. imo luck is not always an accident. I noticed that 99% of the "EXPERT HOG HUNTERS" like yourself were concentrated in one area, and prior exp and being adaptable and willing to change plans and tactics brought me to that lucky time and place. as for the book, sure and I'll dedicate it to you and every other 25 y/o expert.

Return to “THE PIGGY CHASE (HOG HUNTING) FORUM”