Slowly getting them under control..

Discuss all your Hog Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sharrison
scout

Slowly getting them under control..

Post by sharrison » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Shot a 65-75lb or so boar Friday night but didn't take any pics of it since it was around 3 in the morning and I was trying to hurry to get it gutted and 1/4 up. Then last night around midnight I shot a decent size sow. Didn't really plan on shooting anything but couldn't pass her up. Trying to weed out the bigger ones first, To atleast put a small dent in the reproduction cycles..

That makes 6 in the last 3 weeks i've shot. And we've also trapped 4 more. I can tell you it sucks cleaning them by yourself at 2-3am. Today I set up a hanging/cleaning station in an old barn near the house. I didn't want to fight hanging her up by myself so I cleaner her on the tailgate. That was interesting.
9-9-13 Sow (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Slowly getting them under control..

Post by treefarmer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 pm

That's a fine lookin' squealer!
Treefarmer

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 am

Call me, I'll help clean 'em. I'm right around the corner.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 pm

need to build one of these. they really help a lot. Me and my dad built it. Its in 3 sections for easy put up alone. Also will swivel ,so after gutting and skinning you can raise the hog up and swing it around and put it in a cooler already in back of your truck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

sharrison
scout

Post by sharrison » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice, I really like that setup. Would be easy to load in the truck as well after shooting it. Any idea on cost to build? Looks perfect to me but would you change anything on the design if you were to redo it? I may build something like that soon. I have alot of scrap steel laying around and can weld.

For now I setup something in the barn using a boat winch and pulley hooked to the rafter..

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:19 am

sharrison wrote:Nice, I really like that setup. Would be easy to load in the truck as well after shooting it. Any idea on cost to build? Looks perfect to me but would you change anything on the design if you were to redo it? I may build something like that soon. I have alot of scrap steel laying around and can weld.

For now I setup something in the barn using a boat winch and pulley hooked to the rafter..
No, don't think I would change anything as of yet. Im going to change the hand winch out and put a small electric winch on it. Just have to figure out how I wanna power it. Was thinking of powering it with a plug into the hitch light socket. Also may just put a battery in back of the truck and use gator clamps. I use it for other things also. I lift my riding mower with it to change blades. Have also used it to load a stump that 4 people could not get it off the ground. So at this point it has done everything Ive needed it to, so until something becomes hard or a problem no changes
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Nanuq
scout

Post by Nanuq » Wed May 14, 2014 7:53 pm

My cousin built something similar out of 2 x 2 thick wall tubing with a 1000 Lb electric winch. It has rope tie backs coming from rings near the top to both sides of the cab. That helps stabilize it. He put a joint in the middle to bolt 2 sections of tubing together. We pick elk up with it. Lessons learned, put the winch at the bottom. First gen, the winch was at the top, no fun climbing an 8 foot step ladder and trying to slide a 50 lb winch on. Nice to have a battery operated Sawz All too.

Return to “THE PIGGY CHASE (HOG HUNTING) FORUM”