Hog Meat question

Discuss all your Hog Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

irishhunter
scout

Hog Meat question

Post by irishhunter » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 am

Hi everyone ! Greetings from a wet and windy Ireland. I am an avid fly fisherman from Ireland who travels the world ( mostly Alaska and British Columbia ) to fish. I have a very serious interest in hunting in both the above areas and indeed florida. My questions are indeed many but I was curious as to the type and quality of the meat that is yielded from the hogs around the state and in particular if they resemble our own farm grown animals here at home. I am assuming that there will be a small difference in taste but I would like to know 1) What is the meat yield from an average hog 2) do they need any particular type or special type of handling 3) is there availability for processing of the animals ( im quite sure there is )

In any event , thank you kindly for taking your valuable time to read my post and I look forward to any replies,
From Ireland

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Hog Meat question

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 am

irishhunter wrote:Hi everyone ! Greetings from a wet and windy Ireland. I am an avid fly fisherman from Ireland who travels the world ( mostly Alaska and British Columbia ) to fish. I have a very serious interest in hunting in both the above areas and indeed florida. My questions are indeed many but I was curious as to the type and quality of the meat that is yielded from the hogs around the state and in particular if they resemble our own farm grown animals here at home. I am assuming that there will be a small difference in taste but I would like to know 1) What is the meat yield from an average hog About 40% of live weight, give or take depending on the hog. Bigger hogs will yield more % 2) do they need any particular type or special type of handling Yes, get them cooled down ASAP and ice the meat thoroughly 3) is there availability for processing of the animals ( im quite sure there is ) Yes there are processors all over the state that can do all various cuts

In any event , thank you kindly for taking your valuable time to read my post and I look forward to any replies,
From Ireland
Welcome from across the pond. Irish descent myself. Wild hogs resemble their captive cousins in all aspects. The main difference is lack of fat on wild hogs. You will find them to be much leaner. Also certain things they eat can taint the meat and create a slight off taste. A large boar can have a rank smell, but most of it is on the outside and the meat is not tainted. The biggest thing is quick clean kills and speedy cooling of the meat for great tablefare
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

irishhunter
scout

Post by irishhunter » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 am

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Fantastic !!!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:43 am

They are what they eat. There best after the acorns start dropping i even seen them fatten up when there great amount of acorns.

kilboars
scout

Post by kilboars » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Welcome from another Mc.

The meat is fantastic and if you have any worries just maranade in a brine for a day to make it even better. Quick kills are best as apposed to chasing them with dogs before the shot.
Kilboars Hunt Club
West Palm Beach, Fla

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:20 pm

one thing I do and swear by it is to get them on ice asap. keep the meat covered with ice and take drain plug out of cooler and let it drain until the water is clear.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:58 am

There best with a little brown sugar. Takes out the bitterness from eating roots.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Just baked a 7 lb wild ham (a wet cured one) was great i ate it with fries biscuits and cranberry sauce.

jmichailiuk
scout

Post by jmichailiuk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:16 pm

Hay whats up guys im jonathan im a new user. I like to quarter them and marinate in a bag of mojo for 3 three days, kinda weird for a born canadian but i was raised down here. It was a easy way to get rid of gamey taste and taste great.

Return to “THE PIGGY CHASE (HOG HUNTING) FORUM”