initial cost?

Discuss all your Gator Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

H60mech
scout

initial cost?

Post by H60mech » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:19 pm

OK soon I'm way behind on the power curve on the gator hunting thing. I about choked on my cereal this morning when the wife said she wanted to go gator hunting, not with a paid guide either. Never thought I'd hear that from her. Soo what is the initial cost, what do I have to do to get tags for us?
Thanks,
:rockon :army

Sharkhog
scout

Re: initial cost?

Post by Sharkhog » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 am

$272 for Resident Alligator Trapping License (includes 2 CITES tags),
$1,022 for Non-Resident Alligator Trapping License (includes 2 CITES tags),
$62 for 2 CITES tags only (must have Alligator Trapping License that is valid through 11/01/12)

Then you need all the equipment such as spot lights and a boat and of course the essentials to capture and kill the alligator. There is a course held in different parts of Florida I would highly recommend anyone new to the hunts to go check out. It is plenty expensive and plenty of fun so I guess it balances out.

If you do not have a bang stick and bow or crossbow or harpoon you will be spending quite a bit on those. Also practice with the items before going out. Hope this helps.
Not sure if I would rather be locked up with a 12 ft shark or helping dogs pull down a big ole hog.

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

initial cost?

Post by Ironcat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 am

Sharkhog wrote:
Then you need all the equipment such as spot lights and a boat and of course the essentials to capture and kill the alligator.
Nope, depends entirely in where you're at. We got 2 gators from shore with a fishing pole, and hand held flashlights...
Sharkhog wrote: If you do not have a bang stick and bow or crossbow or harpoon you will be spending quite a bit on those. Hope this helps.
Again, nope. We made a harpoon from an 8' wooden dowel rod and some scrap metal. We dispatched both of our gators with a knife.

We got an 8 and an 11 last season.

I'm not trying to argue, just saying there are different ways to do everything, and the expensive way isn't always the best.

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:32 am

excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question but why risk getting close enough to use a knife and chance losing a hand/arm from the teeth, or getting a broken arm/leg from the tail? why not stand back at a safer distance and shoot it with say a 22 mag in the head, which would probably leave less of a hole in the hide than a knife?

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

initial cost?

Post by Ironcat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:53 am

Not a stupid question if you are trying to learn something...
You can't "shoot" it in Florida.
Even putting a handgun up to the kill spot when you have the gator landed us against the law.
Bang stick will give you more distance to be sure but if you miss the brain/spine you've got a pissed off gator and you have to hit it again.
We used a knife because we wanted the skulls as trophies and didn't want to blow a hole through it.

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 pm

thanks for the info. seemed all those swamp people shot em. was a little concerned about ricochet if the muzzle was not just about touching the gator.

H60mech
scout

Post by H60mech » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:10 pm

So initially I just have to pay for the license which is $272 and I get 2 gator tags or do I have to pay the extra $62 for 2 tags? My boss said he'd let me borrow all his equipment, maybe even go with, but he has to have a assistants license correct? So with that being said, the license and 2 tags would be $272? Hope I don't sound like an idiot, but sometimes I gotta get it Barney style.

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

initial cost?

Post by Ironcat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Your initial trapper's license is good for 12 months and comes with 2 tags.
Tags after that ate 30 dollars each but sold 2 at a time, hence the 60 dollar cost.
Anyone else that wants to help you needs an agent's license.
Other people with no license can come along but they can't assist in any way, they can't do anything besides drive and take photos.
They can get in big trouble from literally just handing you a rope.

Sharkhog
scout

Post by Sharkhog » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Hmmm...actually when you use the bangstick you wont tear the skull up if you hit it where you are supposed to. And if you are messing with 12+ ft alligators you sure as heck don't won't to be using a knife on it if it's alive. Use good equipment and be safe. i am waiting for one of these hillbillies to get killed from not bang sticking a good gator.
Not sure if I would rather be locked up with a 12 ft shark or helping dogs pull down a big ole hog.

H60mech
scout

Post by H60mech » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 pm

And are there certain areas i would be allowed to harvest gators?

H60mech
scout

Post by H60mech » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 pm

And certain dates?

H60mech
scout

Post by H60mech » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 pm

And certain dates?

H60mech
scout

Post by H60mech » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Final question, do i have to put in for any of the phase drawings to get a Trappers license or can i just buy one from the FWC website?

H60mech
scout

Post by H60mech » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Final question, do i have to put in for any of the phase drawings to get a Trappers license or can i just buy one from the FWC website?

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by DONY1 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 am

This link will answer most of your questions. http://myfwc.com/license/limited-entry- ... nt-permit/

Return to “THE DEATH ROLL FORUM”