FIRST GATOR TAGS

Discuss all your Gator Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

gl
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

FIRST GATOR TAGS

Post by gl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 am

I was awarded gator tags this year for the first time and am going to hunt lake Istokpoga. I have never hunted gators before but have been hunting/boating all my life. Is there any advise some of you seasoned gator hunters would be able to pass on to me. Is there anybody that may have knowledge of lake Istokpoga and want to share. I am trying to start planning a trip now because I live down in Key West and need to have everything squared away and ready to go when it comes time to making the drive.

I am figuring its like bully netting (netting for lobster at night) and was going to basically use the same method.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: FIRST GATOR TAGS

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 am

my advise make sure its dead if unsure tape it jaw. For your safety use the bang stick under water.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:09 am

If you are going for the first time, I would highly recommend the class done by the FWC. Here is a link to the 2013 manual. http://myfwc.com/media/2198649/alligato ... l_2013.pdf

I learn something new every year. Scouting is important. Let me say that again, Scouting is important. Its like any other form of hunting in that regard. Know that on lakes, especially interior ones, your boat with a regular outboard may get stuck in the weeds. One final bit of advice... Personally, I think it works best with 3 people. 1 to drive the boat / and be the "gofer" for the other 2, 1 to initially get the gator on via snatch, one to get the harpoon in while the other one holds the gator on a snatch hook. Most importantly, be safe. Drop the gator if its not going according to plan. Once the harpoon is in him, wear him down before playing with the bangstick.

DONT LOAD THE BANGSTICK UNTIL JUST BEFORE USE. Thats the big one. Leave it empty. Dont trust the safety pin.

Again, be safe and good luck.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

trapper dan
VIP MEMBER

Post by trapper dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 am

fishindad wrote:If you are going for the first time, I would highly recommend the class done by the FWC. Here is a link to the 2013 manual. http://myfwc.com/media/2198649/alligato ... l_2013.pdf

I learn something new every year. Scouting is important. Let me say that again, Scouting is important. Its like any other form of hunting in that regard. Know that on lakes, especially interior ones, your boat with a regular outboard may get stuck in the weeds. One final bit of advice... Personally, I think it works best with 3 people. 1 to drive the boat / and be the "gofer" for the other 2, 1 to initially get the gator on via snatch, one to get the harpoon in while the other one holds the gator on a snatch hook. Most importantly, be safe. Drop the gator if its not going according to plan. Once the harpoon is in him, wear him down before playing with the bangstick.

DONT LOAD THE BANGSTICK UNTIL JUST BEFORE USE. Thats the big one. Leave it empty. Dont trust the safety pin.

All great stuff right there.

Again, be safe and good luck.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:47 am

gl wrote: I am figuring its like bully netting (netting for lobster at night) and was going to basically use the same method.
I would strongly advise not trying to net a pissed off alligator. I can tell you how well it will turn out
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 am

I just watched a video on Bully Netting. Honestly I did not know what that was. It looks alot like flats shrimping. You will NEVER get that close to a gator unless you are running and gunning. You will also never be able to use a net on a gator. Thats just not going to happen. Read over that FWC brochure I posted. Its got all the right ways to capture in there.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

gl
scout

Post by gl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:01 pm

I know I won't be able to net a gator. I referenced bully netting because of creeping along the flats with a spotight. I don't think I will be able to scout much however I am going to spend several nights there so hopefully I will get a feel for the lake. I think I am also going to.try to make it to the gator seminar at the basspro.

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:
gl wrote: I am figuring its like bully netting (netting for lobster at night) and was going to basically use the same method.
I would strongly advise not trying to net a pissed off alligator. I can tell you how well it will turn out
LMAO!

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by graybellplumb » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Gator huntin is a blast! Take someone who' s done it before.

Sharkhog
scout

Post by Sharkhog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Just do not expect to go out and grab a 12 footer first time. It might happen but more then likely until you figure it out you will probably bag a couple of 7 ft'ers. Fishindad has it right. Do not load the bang stick until you have the gator down and out. Take time to wear the gator out, do not rush it. If you are doing this every year make time to learn it. If you can spend a lot of time on the water you could probably grab your first meat gator the first night, then try for bigger the following nights. Read as much as you can about doing the hunt online and try to learn. And go to that FWC class.
Not sure if I would rather be locked up with a 12 ft shark or helping dogs pull down a big ole hog.

Return to “THE DEATH ROLL FORUM”