Gator Nuggets?

Discuss all your Gator Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

Gator Nuggets?

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:05 am

Hey all you gator hunters. I tried out a new BBQ joint on Tarpon Rd. yesterday for lunch and they had gator nuggets as an appetizer on the menu. I ordered some for the table. They looked awesome! First bite was a real bummer though. I've had gator before and really enjoyed it but that was a while ago. This tasted really gamey and fishy. My buddy who was having lunch with me spear fishes a lot and said that the cook probably didn't rinse them before he breaded and fried them.

Any idea as to why they would have this off putting flavor? Old gator, bad meat, etc.?

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Gator Nuggets?

Post by fishindad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 am

Gator meat IMO is all about tenderizing, cutting off the fat, rinsing well and soaking in milk. Other than that, there are certain cuts better than others. I had some last night. I did all of the above and ran it through a manual cuber 2x before breading. The family absolutely devoured it.

Gator is a chewy meat if not prepared right. To thick a slice and its too chewy IMO. Tenderize tenderize tenderize.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:23 am

Everytime I've bought processed gator meat, it's been tenderized. I've never killed and butchered one. Not sure about the gamey taste though.

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by graybellplumb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:30 am

The tail is the best.It does need to be prepared right or like any other game it will not taste good.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 am

Well I have another friend that recommended the restaurant because he knows the owner. I'd like to be able to tell him y'alls recommendations so he can let the owner know. I'd like to see this place succeed. He opened it in honor of his son who was lost in Afghanistan. It's called Frankie's Patriot BBQ.

So it should be rinsed, all the fat trimmed off and soaked in milk before cooking? Not sure what cut of meat it was but I know that just about anything fried will taste good if prepared right. It was a bit chewy but I didn't mind that as much as the funky taste.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 am

Pork fat rules but Gator fat is bad. The fat on a gator is pure rancid. You have to trim every speck of it off or the meet will be worthless
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:Pork fat rules but Gator fat is bad. The fat on a gator is pure rancid. You have to trim every speck of it off or the meet will be worthless
AMEN
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:23 am

graybellplumb wrote:The tail is the best.It does need to be prepared right or like any other game it will not taste good.
bottom jaw is the best. like a tender loin. Ive never soaked mine in milk,but trim all fat off and rinse in cold water very good. season,batter, cook and eat. If you ever try to grill it don't let it grill very long it will turn to gator hide lol. Its good grilled if not over cooked.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:22 pm

the only thing I soak in milk is cereal.

Return to “THE DEATH ROLL FORUM”