hillsborough County Permit

Discuss all your Gator Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Sharkhog
scout

hillsborough County Permit

Post by Sharkhog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:17 pm

I have a Hillsborough County Permit this year for the gator hunt. I saw on the MYFWC.com website that Hillsborough River was a popular spot. I was out and about and canoed over 8 miles of it today scouting. I was told by a park ranger that you are not allowed to hunt the Hillsborough River anywhere in Hillsborough County. I thought it was only the state and federal parks and management areas that could not be hunted. Anyone have any information on this? I plan on calling FWC but have the time they do not know the rules.

Also anyone know where might be a good spot to hunt in Hillsborough legally? I have a few spots I still have that I know are legal. But the Hillsborough River was going to be my honey hole. Any information or advice would be appreciated.
Not sure if I would rather be locked up with a 12 ft shark or helping dogs pull down a big ole hog.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: hillsborough County Permit

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:25 pm

I won't even begin to answer any questions on the law, as I don't have a clue. However I would suggest up-river once you figure out the legalities. There was a bunch of kill tags issued down river and you can hardly find a gator south of Lettuce Lake park
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Sharkhog
scout

Post by Sharkhog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:43 pm

I am over the kill tags. I have never understood all of the kill tags and why one or two people get to kill 100's of alligators and someone who spends almost $300 for 2 alligators can not go near the spot where all the kill tags were done. Makes no damn sense.
Not sure if I would rather be locked up with a 12 ft shark or helping dogs pull down a big ole hog.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 pm

I know a guy that hunted the river a few years back with a county tag. Not sure what part but they passed up several 10 footers before taking one.
By the way was that your ad on Craigs-list looking for a Hills. spot with a big gator ?

Sharkhog
scout

Post by Sharkhog » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 am

Lol yes that was my ad. I was hoping for a hit for a golf course pond or private pond but no hits. And yes there was a few good size lizards I saw yesterday. I was scouting pretty hard until the park ranger told me that. I do have an email into FWC but the reason I was told it can not be hunted was SFWMD owns 25 miles of it. I know from Lake Hancock that areas SWFMD owns they do not want alligators hunted but they do allow nuisance trappers to pull a lot of tags for. I have complained before to Steve Stiegler and he said he would look into it but nothing doing.

Return to “THE DEATH ROLL FORUM”