Tripod gun rest and cam mount

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Tripod gun rest and cam mount

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm

I found this old camera tripod (shell) in my closet. I had taken the ball head off years back to use on my kayak for a camera mount. I took it to camp last week and put it in my ground blind as it was...One use and I realized it needed some mods

SO I brought it back home to make some changes to it.
A hacksaw, a bucket full of PVC stuff, a can of glue, and a can of spray paint, I have a very functional gun rest and video camera mount
The little "U" on the right side will be a place to rest my gun barrel, and the horizontal piece up top will be a spot to mount my video camera
It's fully adjustable L/R as well as up/down
Gonna add some camo duct tape to all the upper PVC to deaden sound and make it softer as well as a bit more camo
This will stay in my ground blind and, along with my arm chair in there, should make it like shooting off a bench as I can shoot almost 200 yards from this spot

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

eaj1010
scout

Re: Tripod gun rest and cam mount

Post by eaj1010 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Can I borrow that?

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:02 am

Sweet , you need to add a beer holder :toast
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 am

Interesting...
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 pm

What size pop up blind are you using? This is a great idea but I am not sure if I would have the room. I know my 1 man would not work but maybe my doghouse blind.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Not sure the dimensions, but it's a big one. I would say it's better than 4'x4'. Inside it I have 2 folding camp chairs with arms and they don't touch
I am going to build an elevated platform for it this off season and make it between 4-6 feet high

I was using a monopod shooting stick, but it's too wobbly for long shots if anything is crossing the other end of the tram. Plus I can leave the barrel of the gun in the rest and the stock in my lap and always be on the ready, instead of having to pick the gun up
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18 pm

I also made a rifle rest from a camera tripod. not quite like that though. Ill take a pic of it tomorrow and post it for yall.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 pm

fully adjustable in heigth also will rotate and swivel for all range of motion. Have used it turkey hunting,much better than having to hold a heavy shotgun for hours. Gonna put it in the elevated shot house
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”