Box stand build

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Box stand build

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu May 30, 2013 2:36 pm

I am getting ready to build a small box stand (4x6) to put at one of my spots. What are some ideas for siding besides plywood? I went to Lowes yesterday to price it out in my head so I can budget, and I guess the price per sheet has gone way up since I bought any. The cheap/thin stuff was like $20 a sheet. 4 sheets and one for the floor, I am looking at $100 minimum in that alone
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Box stand build

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Im in the same boat. Its gonna be 350-400 bucks.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: Box stand build

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu May 30, 2013 2:58 pm

I have been looking at the same prices....I thought about just building the platform and putting a pop up on it. I did look into some Corrugated PVC/Metal Roof Panels but it didn't seem to save any money because they only ran 24 to 26 wide.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 pm

If its gonna run this much I may just buy one of the per fabbed ones at Midway farm
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Once you start throwing in the cost of 2x4's for framing, roofing and hardware for windows/doors + the life expectancy...the prefab doesn't look bad cost wise. Especially if you have to get all the wood at retail prices.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

HuntAddict
scout

Post by HuntAddict » Thu May 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Not trying to promote another site... just trying to share info:

These Texas boys got some neat ideas: http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ ... _POST_WHAT

I especially like the one for the octoganal blind, but like you say: it's expensive! $500 about if you price it up.

I just built one using 2x4's and tarp material with ply wood flooring and plywood low walls to keep hogs form charging through.

I still havent figured out how to post the right size picture, otherwise I would put one up.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Box stand build

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:If its gonna run this much I may just buy one of the per fabbed ones at Midway farm
Arent them ones online like 700 plus 300 for the platform?

HuntAddict
scout

Post by HuntAddict » Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 pm

You could frame your blind with 2x4's and then if you have landowner's permision, cut down a few pines and cut them to length with a chainsaw for siding and roofing. That's about as cheap and natural looking as you can get.

You could drill pilot holes halfway through the pine with a 1" bit and then secure each piece of pine to the 2x4 framing with 4" drywall screws (coated exterior drywall screws with the fancy name in Lowes is what I mean, but i can't think of what they are called.) Use a tarp over the roof rafters and then cover with Pine pieces as well. Use screen door screening for teh windows to keep the gallon nippers out.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu May 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Foley timber would have me in jail if I cut their pine trees down

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:
Iluv2hunt wrote:If its gonna run this much I may just buy one of the per fabbed ones at Midway farm
Arent them ones online like 700 plus 300 for the platform?
I called them back during hunting season. The 10' model was like $520. The entire frame is built out of like EMT conduit. The "box" is a very heavy camo fabric like a canvas and a plastic roof. They have other models that are taller, and of course more money. I may run up there tomorrow. I will be 2/3 of the way anyways as I gotta go drop some stuff off at the new sporting goods consignment shop.

http://www.midwayfarmandranchsupply.com/deer-stands/

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm

why not a scaffold and a portable ground blind?? One sheet on the floor and done.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu May 30, 2013 8:30 pm

It all depends on what kind of comfort that you are wanting to have, comfort cost. a lounge chair and a ground blind don't go together. If you want comfort google Red Neck Blinds, if you want shallow pockets stick a blind in a tree.
Bossman

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Bossman wrote: a lounge chair and a ground blind don't go together.

Not sure about this one....some ground blinds I have been in...you can stand up straight and shoot a bow.....a lounge chair would be easy....
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu May 30, 2013 9:44 pm

This topic should get better as others give their 2 cents worth! I'm at the point physically that I need to be a little closer to the ground or build some stairs up to the shooting houses. Them ladders and these ol' wore out knees, shoulders and hips just don't feel like they did a few short years ago. Seems like a shooting house on the ground, fashioned after the old outhouse of days gone by might be cheap enough to build, plus putting it on skids would give it a fairly stable base and still be able to drag it around if need be. Some pictures of home made ground blinds that have been made by forum members would really give us some ideas :dtect ! Seems like a year or so ago somebody did a build of a ground blind and showed the progress with a set of pictures here on FOHAF.
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Box stand build

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok just drew up plans and got prices on wood. It will cost me 360 dollars for a 4x8 box stand. The floor of the box will be ten feet off the ground. And with a tin roof and camo netting over windows.

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”