Quota's

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

davedirt
Ordeal
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Quota's

Post by davedirt » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Better get to pickin...........

:chain
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

fishindad

Re: Quota's

Post by fishindad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Put in my requests. Fingers crossed. I had a couple of preference points.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

eaj1010
scout

Post by eaj1010 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:03 am

This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask! How do I apply for a quota?

eaj1010
scout

Post by eaj1010 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:25 am

I just figured it out!

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 am

Davedirt can't remember what you said about Weekiwachee but since this is the first time it will be open may have to try for it. Sure don't like the way they set it up but time will tell. Leave it too FWC to screw something up.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Re: Quota's

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 am

HCON3 wrote:Davedirt can't remember what you said about Weekiwachee but since this is the first time it will be open may have to try for it. Sure don't like the way they set it up but time will tell. Leave it too FWC to screw something up.
What exactly did the FWC screw up?
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:
HCON3 wrote:Davedirt can't remember what you said about Weekiwachee but since this is the first time it will be open may have to try for it. Sure don't like the way they set it up but time will tell. Leave it too FWC to screw something up.

NO REASON FOR SARCASM

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Wasn't being sarcastic. Just asked a question
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:49 pm

He is probably referring to it being archery only. I think there should be more WMAs that are like that. There are many small acreage state lands that they do not consider candidates to be a WMA. Due to there size, and the location being considered to close to urban encroachment. The haters usually complain about the possibility of stray bullets. These are perfect for archery only areas. You would have to be an idiot to launch an arrow skyward, or have a major malfunction.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Wasn't being sarcastic. Just asked a question

You didn't get it I was being sarcastic, as in what doesn't the FWC screw up.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm

The WMA is brand new and has yet to have a hunt take place on it. I was just curious how the FWC was able to screw something up already..

Huntanglergirl
scout

Post by Huntanglergirl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:33 pm

got mine in, hopeing i do as well as i did last year, good luck fellas

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:50 am

Huntanglergirl wrote:got mine in, hopeing i do as well as i did last year, good luck fellas

Just curious what did you put in for?
Bossman

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:
As you must know by now with my posts I hate Fl Quota system and they should do away with it. They claim a better experience for what ever the Quota # but then instead of say 150 quota you end up with 4 or 5hundred with the guests and handicapped, exempt over 65, children under 16 and military home on leave. So just open it up with no quota and after the first
couple of days it levels off to 30 or 40 total. So now they open a brand new area for everyone and then limit to 10quota for 5
applications and no open to all the tax paying hunters at all is just not right. You just go hunt your lease and stay out of the Quota fight which I just turned 65 so am exempt now for most places. Still have to apply for spring turkey and now this new opening. Ok rant over keep on keeping on.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:40 pm

No, I won't just go hunt my lease and stay out of the quota fight. It's my personal fight too. I hunt WMA's too, and a bunch of them. This past season alone I hunted in 5 different ones. I am not going to come on this thread and defend FWC. I am critical of them myself and yes the quota system stinks(to a degree). You're talking to a guy who can't draw a gator tag, doe tag, spec opp tag, St Marks tag, or a woodruff tag. ever...
But I see a lot of folks jump on the FWC and blame them for things they are not at fault over. You do realize the FWC didn't open this WMA, right? And you do realize the FWC didn't set what hunts would and would not take place on this WMA, Right? And you do realize the FWC did not set the quota limits(Number of hunts/people per hunt) on this WMA, right?
The FWC didn't do any of that. It was the work of one man in a non FWC/ non paid roll that got them open after many years of fights and meetings with SWFWMD. It's their property and they say what goes on with it. He fought with them for many many years to get additional lands opened up. He was up against other user groups that use the land (birding groups, horse groups, etc) that had more pull than he did. SWFWMD finally caved and gave up a couple areas with very limited hunts with low numbers to appease all groups that utilize these lands. Would we like it to be more? Absolutely. But it is an opening in the door and he has a bunch more areas in the works. I know this, because this man is a friend of mine. I helped him all day Saturday with the youth outdoor event he puts together..and he fished with me Sunday

The fact is, WMA's close to metro areas are crowded and probably always will be. Not really a lot that can be done to fix it. If a guy in Brandon, Fl wants to go do a morning deer hunt and be home before kickoff he is pretty much limited to green Swamp. Same can be said for the Pinellas guys and Chazz

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”