What knife do you use for processing game?

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 pm

I've learned that blade length of 4-4 1/2" is about right for me. Any longer and it becomes unwieldy and shorter and it takes too much time to skin and difficult to cut up the game.

I don't like folding knife as they are a pain to clean properly after use due to all the spaces hair/flesh can get into.

I like to have 3 sharp knives when I start. I use one to make cuts on skin as hair dulls the blade very quickly. I use the second knife to skin the game. I use the 3rd knife to gut and remove internal parts.

These days I use 3 Cold Steel Finn Bear knives. They are economical, well designed and sharpens easily.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/20PC/FINN_BEAR.aspx

So, what do you use?

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Re: What knife do you use for processing game?

Post by bellyacher » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 pm

My knives
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Been skinning animals for well over 30 years.
Here is what works for me:
Go to Lowe's and get a nice folding box cutter. Then get a box of box cutter blades with the little "hook" on them. I use that for making all my "zip" cuts (down the belly and each leg). Works better than any gut hook knife and you can just toss the blade if you want, but realistically it will stay sharp for a few animals, and they are double sided. So a box of blades will last years.
For the main skinning, I use a Dexter Russell like in this link. A butcher turned me onto them as he said he had used them for over 50 years, and nothing else. I can see why. They fit your hand good (I have carpal tunnel in my R hand) and the big blade makes a very long clean cut.
http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/p ... 7Aod3yAAtg

For deboning meat into roasts, etc....nothing, and I mean nothing is better than a very sharp filet knife. The narrow point is perfect for separating muscle groups

The most important tool is a good steel. I don't mean a Walmart special but a good one. If you are right handed, stick it in your left back pocket and stop every 2-3 minutes and hone your knife. You will be amazed how much easier skinning is if you hone your knife every couple minutes. And it doesn't take much to do it either, assuming your knife is sharp to start with
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Knives are one of my favorite things! I'm kinda' old fashioned and haven't got into the newer styles of tactical fixed blades or folders that lots of the younger generations like and use. I can't remember when I last carried a belt knife in the woods. For my dressing a deer, I use a Queen #39, 2 blade folding hunter. It's an old knife and was used when I got it many years ago. I skin and break with it and keep a good steel handy as Iluv2hunt suggests. Peeling silver skin from back straps and individual muscle is done with an equally old Russell filet knife. You can't have too many knives, just like guns, but the secret is you being comfortable with the knife and it performing the job with the least effort. Splitting the pelvis is done with a sawzall and sometimes I use it to split the sternum on a big deer. That's my 2 cents worth, kc45.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 pm

I need to take a picture of my critter cleaning knife. I got it for free but it does almost every thing I need....and it holds an edge well. I can go through a couple critters without serious work to put it back to shaving....though if you touch it up like Allen says, its 100x better.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:19 pm

The blade I have will split critters pelvis up to 150-180 lbs with no problems...haven't really worked it on bigger out of fear of hurting it...I grab a cheap knife for cracking those thicker bones. I get constant compliments about how sharp it is and I rarely work on it....it was a gift..wish I could buy 10 more to last my lifetime counting giveaways.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:15 am

Thinking about adding this to my collection this year.

:salute3d
Bossman

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43 am

A sharp one. I don't like the razor knife, for deboning i use a 8 inch flexible chef knife. for skinning i really like the gut hook

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:28 am

Buck cleaning kit and a cutco D-blade knife
I like animals, they are tasty!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:01 pm

sam03 wrote:Buck cleaning kit and a cutco D-blade knife
Oh, the "Cutco" D-blade. We just bought a Cutco set and haven't had a chance to use any of them yet.

:salute3d
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 pm

My wife bought me one of these Christmas before last and I like it a lot. It holds an edge well and is easy to handle. Very comfortable in your hand.

Buck Omni Hunter w/Gut Hook

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:30 pm

I use this one for everything,It's a tough SOB
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Nice knife!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm

9dawgs wrote:My wife bought me one of these Christmas before last and I like it a lot. It holds an edge well and is easy to handle. Very comfortable in your hand.

Buck Omni Hunter w/Gut Hook

I USE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE. Its in the St Johns some were.

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”