Flagging and how I hate it

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

hunter1005
scout

Re: Flagging and how I hate it

Post by hunter1005 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:55 am

I only use flagging tape when I am laying a tack line than all the tape gets removed. I found you cannot always rely on a gps when it is real cloudy and windy, the GPS will not link up. So the best alternative is a few tacks.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Flagging and how I hate it

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:29 am

I tried the tacks ( bright eyes) thought it was a great idea! Went to go find my stand at 5am , flashed my headlamp to catch the bright eyes and it looked like the solar system. Just laughed and waited til light.

Sent from my killphone.

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 am

I had the happen once. It was funny seeing all these tacks ahead of time. So I changed where I put my tacks in the future. Everyone puts there tacks about chest high so now I put mine about 1 - 2 ft off the ground and mix them up with different types. tacks, tape and reflective wire ties.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:54 am

I must be really old. We used to hunt without orange tape & used maps and a compass IF NEEDED. WE didn't have satellite recognition, cell phones (let alone smart ones), gps, Trail cams, feeders or ANY high tech gadgets. But then the quarry was woolly mammoth. Last time out I got fed up with the tapes within 3 feet of the road and moved them to direct these Daniel Boone types to poison Ivy or nice big puddles.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:59 am

Take some ribbon and run you a line thru the woods away from the spot you want to hunt. Then take a wood rasp and work on a few trees at the end of the ribbon line. Let them fight it out!
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 pm

I like the way you think. Good to have you back. Hope all is well. I'll give you that navigation here is much harder than "other places" with leaves off the trees and snow on the ground, visibility was better and often (but not always) it could be as simple as keep that ridge on your right and keep going uphill/downhill.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”