CCI 22 MAG SQUIB LOAD

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

nachogrande
Wood Badger

CCI 22 MAG SQUIB LOAD

Post by nachogrande » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:05 am

I had my first factory ammo squib load of my life yesterday, and got lucky. I was using cci maxi-mag 22 mags, a rimfire, my favorite and a brand/type I've shot thousands of. When shooting at a busy range, I use ear plugs and ear muffs, so I couldn't hear the squib. Lack of feeling in the hands and I couldn't feel it. thankfully the bullet lodged in the barrel only far enough to prevent the next round from being chambered. A quarter inch further up the bbl & I would have fired another round into a blocked bbl & had a blow up. When shooting steel challenge or bowling pins, being the only one shooting, I only use the ear plugs and can hear if a round doesn't "sound right" So my reason for the post is BE CAREFULL, PAY ATTENTION as able & if ANYTHING doesn't look/feel/sound right, STOP & examine & DO NOT continue to fire unless you are 100% sure everything is good to go. An expensive pair of ear muffs that allow you to hear low noise levels & still protect you from the loud ones likely would have enabled me to detect the squib, & may be on my wish list now. This is NOT my first squib, I did have 1 re-load I missed putting powder in, but being a larger caliber & more recoil I was able to feel/hear the difference. I have experienced several primers, (both rimfire & centerfire) that never ignited the powder, but they don't result in a blocked bbl. just a heads up & a main reason I don't care to shoot faster than I can react to a squib & be able to stop myself from firing that NEXT ROUND that blows up the gun. It can be a very fine line when shooting for speed in a timed event. Just an FYI/HEADS UP if you will. CCI will be notified with the brand/type/lot # and the bullet, I couldn't find the exact case, as it was mixed in with the other 100 or so that worked fine. STAY SAFE.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: CCI 22 MAG SQUIB LOAD

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Was it a new box of ammo or an older box you had around?
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: CCI 22 MAG SQUIB LOAD

Post by nachogrande » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm

The ammo age is hard to say. I got #400 of them, along with other stuff, as part of a deal for a S&W M&P 15-22. They are the same blue & white labeled ones sold today. I'd GUESS no more than 5 years old and stored in a/c. I shot 2 other boxes of them without trouble.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”