How to feed

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

strunes
Tenderfoot
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

How to feed

Post by strunes » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:53 pm

I just got a piece of land on the backside of the well fields in Pasco near Hwy 52 and I75. My question is should I have anything besides a feeder? My buddy thinks I should either put a feeding trough up or a gravity feeder up. My only issue is if I have a non time device I will be at a disadvantage. Also, the property holds way more deer then hogs and has up to 2" of water during the rainy season. Any and all help is appreciated.
It is what it is!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: How to feed

Post by treefarmer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Find a high spot, set up a reliable automatic feeder, feed twice a day, just enough to keep 'em interested. Put your trail camera out and enjoy the show. All this needs to be done with hunting conditions in mind, where is your stand or blind going to be, what direction are prevailing winds during the season, your approach to the stand site. Sounds good, more deer than hogs.

A good automatic feeder will save a ton of money on the corn, compared to a gravity feeder, pouring on the ground or a covered trough.
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:25 am

Don't know how you got a piece of property there, but you got access to some of the most sought after property in the state.
I know a friend of mine tried to buy property along 52 for that reason alone, and the prices are way over inflated for that reason alone. People want to buy it for hunting access.
If it were me I probably wouldn't feed much, if at all. The last thing you want to do is pull in hogs and run your deer off(especially knowing the caliber of deer in there). I would find a way to sneak in/out and hunt it. You need to figure out travel areas and what the deer are doing. Are they passing thru? Are they resident deer?

I'd be more than happy to ride out there with you and help you look at it. And I am not trying to get in on your spot, just offering free help
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Congrat's on your own piece of land, in an easy to reach spot. Many say I have a Debbie Downer attitude, I like to think I plan for the worst and hope for the best. I think you have a good news/bad news thing possibly. + you have deer & hogs, - there may be MANY others (poachers/trespassers/thieves) that would like to hunt there also. If you feel confident to DIY, walk & study the area for your set up site, OR take up Allen on his offer as 2 heads are better than 1. Initially maybe at least 2 good trail camera's that you can view from your smart phone or computer, so you don't have to scent up the area going in to check the cam's, splurge on the lock boxes! Get an idea of what kind of traffic you are getting (maybe spread 1 bag of corn on the ground), before setting up a stand/blind/feeder. After some feedback you can decide if/where you want to make your set up. IMO a pig pipe (with marbles in a bottom section, to wake you up when it's in use) that only lets out a little corn at a time may hold animals closer 24/7 , AND a gravity feeder with a timer to bring them in when you want. Trying to keep all this as discreet & well hidden as possible of course. Low ground may be tempting, but you don't want your set up underwater either. GOOD LUCK, & let us know how it goes. :toast
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

strunes
Tenderfoot

Post by strunes » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:51 pm

There's no issues with trespassers or poachers that I know of. There are several gates that lead to my property so unless they have a chopper, there is zero chance of anyone getting back to my spot. I have game cameras up and there are several resident doe that are regulars on film.
It is what it is!

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 pm

strunes wrote:There's no issues with trespassers or poachers that I know of. There are several gates that lead to my property so unless they have a chopper, there is zero chance of anyone getting back to my spot. I have game cameras up and there are several resident doe that are regulars on film.
There is no spot safe from poachers, and they dont need a chopper. If people will walk miles deep to hunt a WMA they can surely do the same there. But hopefully you wont get screwed with to bad.
But most of all, congrats on getting to hunt an awesome area, good luck, and remember sometimes less IS more.

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”