Game-Trail Cam Recommendations

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Looking for opinions and recommendations on Game-Trail Cams.

I need to buy a few to cover an area in front of some property we own.

I have a budget of under $250 each....

TKS-Rob

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Re: Game-Trail Cam Recommendations

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Thoughts?

They will be set up in a hedge along a street in front of some property we own in the country.

Moultrie MCG12597 Game Spy Camera - Panoramic 150

Moultrie · IR / Night Vision · 8 megapixel · Video Recording · Time-lapse Mode · 1 second trigger speed · Multi-shot Mode

The Moultrie Game Spy Panoramic P-150 Game Camera revolutionizes game scouting with 3 infrared motion sensors that cover a super-wide, 150-degree detection area, 3 times the area of a typical game camera. The Silent-Slide lens rotates silently to take photos or videos wherever motion is detected, perfect for a field or wide open woods. 8.0 megapixel infrared panoramic game camera, under 1 second trigger speed, up to 100-ft night range, 3 motion sensors cover super-wide, 150-degree detection angle. Has 5 operational modes (150-degree Panoramic camera, IR triggered game camera (Single image Mode), time-lapse plot camera, plot camera by day, motion detect camera at night, HD video day or night). Silent-Slide lens rotates to take photos or videos wherever motion is detected without spooking game, Illumi-Night sensor provides bright, clear nighttime images, Motion Freeze reduces nighttime blur. Multi Shot (1-3 pictures); 5/15/30 seconds, 1-60 minute picture delay, Password protection, SD memory card slot - up to 32 GB, 9,000 images on 6 C-cell batteries. Moultrie camouflage, Integrated strap loop with Python cable compatibility (cable not included).

$161.66 Walmart +$9.70 tax. Free shipping

$179.99 B&H Photo-Video-Audio
$229.99 Cabela's
$159.99 Mack's Prairie Wings

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:57 pm

I was gonna recommend the panoramic. It can take pics in a 180deg FOV. That will be my next camera.

Today, I bought a Tasco. $50 at Walmart. I had a bad experience with them about 5 years ago, but they have completely changed them. They are no bigger than maybe 2 packs of playing cards. I bought it to use around the house. I put it out this afternoon on a game trail on some property where me and the dog have been walking. That's a cheap option if you need something small and quick
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:01 pm

You may look into the black flash cams. . The infrareds give off a red glow when they go off. I don't have any hands on with the black flash, but I think they are pretty undetectable to the human eye. I am going to assume you are trying to get "someone" on camera
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:58 pm

I have the Wild Game Innovations black flash. Got it last year at the hunting classic at Bass for like $70. Sucker is bad. Can swap between all kinds of modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:36 pm

You looking for game or poacher pics? If the latter and the budget permits I'd opt for a more expensive model you can monitor from your phone or computer, miles away. Unfortunately once locals get the pattern that you are not around much, they feel they can come & go and use your property at will, and piss them off enough and you may show up to a pile of smoldering ashes. Too bad the days of the Joe Pechi method has fallen out of favor. Some crazy Mofo camped out secretly there could do some good, any ideas?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Has any one tried out the Spypoint Tiny-W2 8MP 5X Wireless Infrared Surveillance Camera. Its small and suppose to take good pics. It also comes with a small "black box" that also has a sd card and you hide with in 250 feet of the camera. Once the camera takes a pic it saves it to the sd in the camera and sends a copy to the black box. So for hunting you dont have to go in a check your camera you can check the black box and for us that have had cameras stolen we would still have a pic of the pos that took the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mDwWnkHxmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbecrLMffTE
I like animals, they are tasty!

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:36 am

SPYPOINT is junk in my opinion based on the ones we have. That model is a good idea but not well made. I will not buy anymore of that brand.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:46 am

Have any buddies in the drone dept? A misguided drone strike might solve all your problems. LOL.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”