Winch? Hi lift jack?

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Winch? Hi lift jack?

Post by graybellplumb » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Any one have a winch on their truck? what do you think of it? Is a hi lift jack a better cheaper alternative? What uses would a hi lift jack be okay for?

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Winch? Hi lift jack?

Post by treefarmer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:36 pm

A winch is a wonderful tool for the woods and a high lift jack is a wonderful tool for the woods.

The jack is capable of doing any thing the winch can do and more, granted it takes more work with a jack but you can't get the winch to lift a vehicle to change a tire, lift a heavy trailer tongue or help hook up a piece of farm equipment. The jack can be used to stretch fence wire and by the same principle pull a vehicle out of the mud, be it ever so slow. These jacks can push, pull, lift, winch and clamp.

My wife bought me a 42" Handyman jack for my 21st birthday. I just turned 68 and still using the same jack. Handyman was the name on the jack before Bloomfield Mfg. Co. changed it to Hi-Lift.

If you can afford a winch you can also afford a jack, but if you can't justify the expense of a good winch, a Hi-Lift serve you well.
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:01 pm

^^ What Treefarmer said

Also with a handy man jack, you can stick it under your tow hitch in the back, or under a tow hook in the front. Jack it up as high as you can, and either push the truck over off the jack out of the ruts, or shove wood/tree limbs under the tires.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks a lot. Hi lift jack it is.A whole lot cheaper too. :clap

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:47 pm

A high lift is for sure a very usefull tool to have around once you get the hang of all its capabilities. Just be carefull with it cause they can hurt ya in a hurry too.

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Here is what I got AC Delco 48" farm jack with hi-lift liftmate. Works pretty good on concreter got 2x6 with 1/2" plywood attached for a base on dirt.Reminds me of using the old bumper jacks those were scary! I just hope I never have to use it.
jack with jackmate1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:25 pm

graybellplumb,
That's an interesting strap setup. Never seen one like that. A big wooden base is almost always necessary when lifting a vehicle in the woods as the metal base will usually sink as you put more weight on it. When using the handle it is wise to stand to the side especially when letting it down, (DON'T STAND OVER THE JACK!) as the handles can ratchet down on their own if everything is just right. In other words don't let go of the handle and don't let it hit you under the chin :eek . Please be careful, it's not unusual for these jack to lean as vehicle weight is added, have a plan, which way to jump if it slips!
Keeping the rail and pins clean makes it work very well. In a pinch, we've thrown it in the branch for cleaning and lubrication, improvise when neceaasry.
On a lighter note, we used try to keep our jack in side the cab of the truck so somebody wouldn't steal it. After the paint wore off we finally just threw it in the bed along with the axe and shovel, found out most rouges wouldn't steal something to work with :rolleyes .
Treefarmer

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:22 pm

I mounted my farm jack on the rack of my Nissan xterra .Used altered muffler clamps works great.. Finally got to use it .Around 8 pm at the tomatoes. Couldn't see where I was going and got stuck in some ruts. Used the jack with the wheel attachment to lift up the tires put dirt under them and raised it out of the ruts. I'm a believer.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:46 am

Just be careful and don't let the jack slip, especially if the top of the jack goes towards the truck. out goes a window or a good paint job.

:saluting
Bossman

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:53 am

If your worried about windows or paint you should not be doing what your doing. Not getting stuck in a nasty swamp can mean bouncing off the trees.

Some times you need a chain saw instead of ether.
A winch works better in waist deep swamp get both.

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”