Side by side UTV

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Side by side UTV

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:06 am

Lately I have been seriously considering selling my 4 wheeler and getting a side by side. Basically I would use it for filling feeders, getting animals out, pulling a disc and a minimal amount of joy riding in the off season. The way it is now if my son or buddy rides with me we have to spoon to both sit on it. It would be really nice to be able to toss supplies in the back, then ride in together in our own seats.
I know the Polaris Ranger seems to be the most popular. However they seem to be extremely expensive and I simply don't like Polaris products. I was looking at the Massimo brand which is sold at Tractor Supply. I found one from a private seller used with minimal hours, garage kept, etc for a lot off of retail. Anyone have any experience with this brand or any other advice on them?

This is the model here I was looking at

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/m ... i-camo-utv
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Side by side UTV

Post by treefarmer » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Iluv2hunt,
I have a good friend that is really picky about anything he purchases. Before he buys anything he studies and weighs each facet of the item to be purchased :dtect . I asked him why he bought the foreign made UTV at Tractor Supply. He said value, the UTV is almost an exact copy of a high dollar Polaris, Polaris parts fit the one sold at TS, plus Polaris parts are more readily available in our area. So far he is pleased with his machine. Can't fault his logic. I'm not sure of the exact model he purchased.
Treefarmer

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:16 pm

ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL! Like the 2 MAN treestands, yeah, if they both are Somali's.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:11 pm

A quick Google and Youtube search has fairly good reviews on them. You may want to talk to Treefarmers friend. See what he thinks of his.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:32 pm

I went to TSC this morning in New Port Richey to get my monthly supply of critter feeds. I looked more closely at the one they had on display. They had it marked down about $500, but aint no way this cracka is buying a display model. It had sat out so long the paint, seats, seatbelts, etc were faded and the bed was full of leaves and trash that people throw in it.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:08 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:Lately I have been seriously considering selling my 4 wheeler and getting a side by side. Basically I would use it for filling feeders, getting animals out, pulling a disc and a minimal amount of joy riding in the off season. The way it is now if my son or buddy rides with me we have to spoon to both sit on it. It would be really nice to be able to toss supplies in the back, then ride in together in our own seats.
I know the Polaris Ranger seems to be the most popular. However they seem to be extremely expensive and I simply don't like Polaris products. I was looking at the Massimo brand which is sold at Tractor Supply. I found one from a private seller used with minimal hours, garage kept, etc for a lot off of retail. Anyone have any experience with this brand or any other advice on them?

This is the model here I was looking at

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/m ... i-camo-utv
that price is crazy!!
you can get a used quality utv for that.
that massimo is a china "copy" use copy loosely as its mostly just cosmetic things that are copied OF the yamaha rhino.
the parts and metals used are inferior and the resale value will drop dramatically on it.
buy a good used japan produced utv and you'll be much happier.
polaris rangers are also decent (I worked at a polaris dealer for 5 years in wi and worked on alot of them with thousands of hard farm hours)
honda has a new 500cc utv for about the same price and it'll last 5 times as long as that china clone

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 am

That's the reason I am asking these questions. However I simply cannot afford a Polaris, nor do I want one. Everyone I know that has had one has had issues with it. There are 2 Honda places in town. I'll check them out before I make a decision. It won't be till after the new year anyway

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:07 pm

What brand atv do you have? The specs look good on the Massimo UTV but the hp and payload doesn't seem a little off compared to the other 500 class utv. I'm not sure how long the Massimo brand has been around and how long they will last in business but the major brands have been around and aren't going any where. It might be a great buy dont get be wrong but they are pretty close to the price of the major brands.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:14 pm

I have a Yamaha 4 wheeler

I was going to stop at the Honda place in Wesley chapel today. But I got tied up in that traffic from the fatality on I75 and it took me almost 3 hours to get home

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:03 pm

yup, listen to 2 buddies over a 15 year professional tech... that always works out great
used yamaha rhino's or kawasaki mules will last 4 times as long as that china junk (and fyi that massimo is 100% china produced)
Honda Pioneer 500, msrp is 8500, massimo is 8000.... thats a no brainer in all honesty.

resale value is a real thing with china junk..
sell either after a year of use and i'd guarantee you'd loss 50% of the original cost on the china one but only 20% on the honda.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:03 am

Don't throw out the thought of an Arctic Cat Prowler. And don't forget the ole saying you get what you pay for...

:saluting
Bossman

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”