Custom REM. 770 in 30-06

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

ario
scout

Custom REM. 770 in 30-06

Post by ario » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:11 pm

I wanted to buy a new bolt rifle but, no cash. So I customized my REM 770. I am happy with the results.
Nikon pro-staff 3x9
3" scope sunshade
Muzzle Brake
Floated barrel
Steel Sling mounts (3)
Bi-pod
Light rail
2.5 lb trigger

https://youtu.be/b_FaqCzyDog
I worked up some good reloads using Winchester 150 gr. Core Lokt bullets and Hodgdon H335 powder. After this season I will work up some loads using Hoanady 180 gr. SST's.

9dawgs

Re: Custom REM. 770 in 30-06

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:17 am

Looks like a shooter to me. Nice looking gun. What did the target look like?

ario
scout

Post by ario » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:47 pm

9dawgs wrote:Looks like a shooter to me. Nice looking gun. What did the target look like?
About 2.5" groups at 100 yds. but, I am still working on a good load and bullet combo. That is a dead deer any day though. After the season I want to start working on a good load using Horandy 180 gr. SST's. I have used them in my AR in 6.8 spc in 120 gr. and have 5 DRT's straight. (3 Hogs and 2 Deer) The SST's I shot that day were a little to hot. The bolt was hard to open after each shot.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Very cool. Once you work up a good load it'll be a fine hunting rifle but I agree on the 2.5" groups. Ain't nothing wrong with that! Great job man.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:57 am

If it makes you happy it's worth it, But when you claim you have no $, how did you come up with it for all the improvements? It is not exactly a "budget rifle any longer. If you don't mind a nosy ? how much did all the add ons & smithing (if you didn't DIY) cost? I look at it like, what is the difference between a Rem lower grade & a higher grade? Buying a good condition, low round count used higher grade to start with Privately will often cost less (no tax) than a lower grade retail new. Many of the most important improvements for accuracy you will not be able to see, like: truing/squaring the bolt face, a trigger job/replacement, changing stocks, pillar bedding & or free floating the receiver & barrel, action job, smooth/polish the bore & action, re-crown the muzzle, replace the barrel(?), making the stock fit YOU perfectly, an aftermarket recoil pad, etc. (YES many of the above steps/work may or may not be needed). Instead of trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse, try buying a good condition used silk purse to start with, JMO. Sorry to be "Debbie Downer" & pee in your punch bowl but 2 1/2 " @ 100 yards (while "good enough" for hunting) is not acceptable in ANY bolt new oob , IMO. FLAME ON.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

ario
scout

Post by ario » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:38 am

Nachogrande & 9dawgs, thanks for your input.
The Rem. 770 is sold as a ready to use hunting rifle combo. It's targeted buyer is the average Joe who's looking for a low cost rifle and not for the one who's looking to buy a high quality rifle. I bought this rifle for around $400 from Wal-Mart a few years back.

When I said I had no cash, I meant I didn't have the extra money for a new rifle. I was thinking of buying a Rem. 700 and it would have been around $800+. Because of back injuries I needed to reduce the recoil. There for, the improvements were going to be done any ways. I should have said I had a limited budget. The original scope was changed right after I bought the rifle. So I already had a head start with the 770.

I agree that a 2.5" group is not great but, bare in mined this is a hunting rifle and not a long distance competition rifle. However, two things will and could have improved that. 1. The trigger adjustment was done after the rifle was tested and could have already improved the groupings. 2. I have not come to a conclusion as to the bullet and load for the rifle. My test range is at my lease and being that the season was about to start at the time, I had put all testing on hold until the end of deer season. That's why 2.5" is good enough for now.

As far as how much I have spent on it. I estimate around $600. The muzzle brake was done by a gun smith and came out to $225 parts and labor. Everything else was done by myself.

While not everyone is going to take the time and money to do this, those people that won't can all ways buy a "silk purse" and be done with it or a low cost rifle and leave it in its original condition. There is no challenge in that.(other than making the money to buy it) I am the kind of person that looks at something most of the time and thinks ok it's nice but, how can I improve it for me.

Finally, yes your right Nachogrande all it has to do is make me happy. :clap

:united Vote Republican

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”