Truck Bed Camper Cot

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

Re: Truck Bed Camper Cot

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:19 pm

I also added a tailgate step I found on eBay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/172262992747 for $50 w/free shipping. I wasn't even looking for one but just happened across it. The frame is about as sturdy as a tree stand ladder. The ladder is removable and the rungs are adjustable. I like it a lot and it'll help this old man climb in and out of the bed. The only thing I'll need to do is add another strap to make it a bit more secure. I know it'll rattle if I don't put another one on there closer to the mounting area. I just need to dig it out of my stuff in the garage. It got really hot out there today so I called it quits!
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:36 pm

Bro. Jim, You ain't old enough to need an old man ladder to get in the back of your truck, are you? I had to get one several years ago and it is very helpful at times. Biggest problem, sliding anything 4' wide into the bed, but it comes off with 4 screws. Sometimes it on and some times off. Found a couple of old pictures showing how this one works, it unfolds and the steps are like a step ladder.

Treefarmer
10-6-11 545pmr.jpg
10-6-11 545 pmr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:02 pm

treefarmer wrote:Bro. Jim, You ain't old enough to need an old man ladder to get in the back of your truck, are you? I had to get one several years ago and it is very helpful at times. Biggest problem, sliding anything 4' wide into the bed, but it comes off with 4 screws. Sometimes it on and some times off. Found a couple of old pictures showing how this one works, it unfolds and the steps are like a step ladder.
Treefarmer
Haha, some days I feel older than other days. Your ladder looks a lot sturdier than the one I bought. I like that. Looks like you can have an armload of stuff and walk right up. I wouldn't trust mine with too much weight but it sure makes it easier to climb in and out.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Well this morning before is was blazing hot I got out and cut the platform for the cot. I used a couple of pieces of scrap 1/2" plywood I had in the garage. It's coming together nicely. Next will be to carpet and install the piano hinge in the middle so it can fold up. Then it will be on to the truck bed platform.
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Picked up a can of Oops paint for $4 from Lowe's on the way home yesterday so I could paint the cot platform and truck bed decking. I figured it would not only add a finished look but waterproof the wood as well. I got the cot platform painted today. Not a bad color. Looks almost like a grayish olive drab in person.
Cot Platform Painted.JPG

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:57 am

Got out this morning and carpeted the two halves of the cot. Looks like I'll need to buy a little more carpet for th truck deck. I have enough left to do one side of the bed decking.
Anyhow I think these turned out nice. I'll let them dry for 24hrs before attaching the piano hinge in the middle.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Today I cut the piano hinge to length and after filing off the burrs attached it to the deck. Works perfectly. Then I set out to figure out an easy way to attach the deck to the pvc frame. I decided to use 3" carriage bolts at each corner. Simple sturdy setup. I probably should have picked up 3.5" bolts but these work fine for now. I also marked each corner of the deck and frame with matching letters (A, B, C, D) to help with assembly when I get to camp.
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:35 pm

I'm totally satisfied with the finished product. The fit in the truck bed is perfect and there's plenty of room under it for my guns. Now on to the truck bed deck!
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Yesterday I decided to start on the truck bed decking. After I laid a sheet of plywood in the bed I decided to go a different route in the design. Instead of hinging in the middle I'm going to just put flaps at each corner to fill the pockets on either side of the wheel wells. After all the measuring and cutting was done I did the entire deck out of one 4x8 sheet. Everything fit well. Next is to paint and carpet everything and hinge the corner flaps.
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:20 pm

I gave the old girl a wash today and had my boys help with the camper top install. Once I get the decking painted carpeted and hinged, I'll put it all in to see how it works. Just about ready to head to the woods!
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Looks cool but i doubt pvc would hold my fat azz up lol

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:Looks cool but i doubt pvc would hold my fat azz up lol
Ha, well I ain't skinny as I used to be! It's actually pretty sturdy. Today I got the decking painted and also built me a stand out of some scrap lumber to put my canoe on next to the house. I used the rest of the oops paint to paint the canoe stand.
IMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:11 pm

Ok, I'm back from my travels and had the opportunity today to finish up the decking. Here's the completed deck project. I think it turned out pretty good. :-)
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1858.JPG

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Looks good!!!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

FINAL STEP

Post by nachogrande » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Add bumper sticker: If this trucks rockin, don't come knockin!
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”