Truck Bed Camper Cot

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

Truck Bed Camper Cot

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm planning a hunting/camping trip right before Thanksgiving up to the Panhandle and I'm just about too old for tent camping anymore because I like sleeping off the ground. It's too hard to get up on a cold morning for this old body. I've been thinking about how to build me a cot out of PVC to put in the back of my truck. I have a camper shell I put on there and normally I'll just put a full size air mattress in there and sleep on that. It's comfortable but it takes up all the room and there's really no room to store my gear except for in the cab (I have a 6' truck bed). Has anyone ever done this? I did an internet search and came across the photo below. It looks easy enough except for the specialized 4-way tees. You probably can't get those at Home Depot. The article said those were to attach an extension when you wanted a full sized mattress. Anyhow, I'm going to give it a shot. I'll post some photos of my progress.
PVC truckbed cot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Truck Bed Camper Cot

Post by Bossman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Dang Jim, you brought many old memories. Pops and I use to camp in the back of his full size pickup when I was a kid. We had 2 separate cots that was store bought with a spring mattress. Think we had like a foot between the two. Battery lights and we were good to go.
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:04 am

Bossman, I'll just have to say "Amen" to your opening statement about bringing back memories! Remember sleepin' in the back of the truck, in line, at the check station at the old Jane Green GMA, renamed Bull Creek a few years later. Back then it was "1st come, 1st served" only allowing a given number of hunters in the gate. A short time later they went to drawings to provide access during the 1st 10 days of the season. What a mess, when I look back but then we were about 45 years younger.

That leads me back to Jim's OP, that makes a lot of sense, a PVC frame, a piece of plywood and some sort of padding. Storage under the bed, just don't rear up and hit your head in the middle of the night, my friend!

Jim, Do you have an safari planned with a stick and string before Thanksgiving up here in Zone D?
Treefarmer

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:16 am

TRY LOEWS, they have has some pvc connections I couldn't get at home depot. I wish I'd of thought of that back in the 80's-90's. If you could find a sleeved hammock type of mesh/netting like they use for a dogs bed it'd be just the ticket.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

SteveCal
scout

Post by SteveCal » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:03 pm

9dawgs, where you going to be in the Panhandle? Where do you plan to hunt? I'm between Crestview and DeFuniak Springs on US 90 which is next to I-10 near exit 70.

I made something similar to the photo for my S-10 6 foot bed. You just gotta get accustom to the tight space. I used plastic bins for storage under the bunk and stack able bins for the rest. Most places I'd stay had fire rings and cover to sit under so I stayed pretty comfortable. I just need the basics.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:27 pm

treefarmer wrote:That leads me back to Jim's OP, that makes a lot of sense, a PVC frame, a piece of plywood and some sort of padding. Storage under the bed, just don't rear up and hit your head in the middle of the night, my friend!

Jim, Do you have an safari planned with a stick and string before Thanksgiving up here in Zone D?
Treefarmer
Yep we're heading up your way the week of the 13th of November up to the farm. My camper top is higher than the cab so hopefully I won't be banging my head! Last year we went up in October and the fawns were still in spots and milking so I didn't take any doe. Hopefully by then the babies will be eating on their own.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:27 pm

nachogrande wrote:TRY LOEWS, they have has some pvc connections I couldn't get at home depot. I wish I'd of thought of that back in the 80's-90's. If you could find a sleeved hammock type of mesh/netting like they use for a dogs bed it'd be just the ticket.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. I'm heading to the store on Friday for the parts & pieces. I have a self inflating single size mattress pad that I'll put on there. It rolls up and is pretty handy.
Last edited by 9dawgs on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:32 pm

SteveCal wrote:9dawgs, where you going to be in the Panhandle? Where do you plan to hunt? I'm between Crestview and DeFuniak Springs on US 90 which is next to I-10 near exit 70.

I made something similar to the photo for my S-10 6 foot bed. You just gotta get accustom to the tight space. I used plastic bins for storage under the bunk and stack able bins for the rest. Most places I'd stay had fire rings and cover to sit under so I stayed pretty comfortable. I just need the basics.
We're up in Laurel Hill just next to the Alabama line. I exit I-10 at DeFuniak, head north on 331 and turn at Paxton to the farm. Beautiful country up there. My family is actually from Chipley, FL. Most of the folks there are related to me in some way. If you know any Nelson's from Chipley, their my cousin...

Hey if you have any photos you should post them. The sight where I got this one shows the cot broken down for storage as well. I have a high top topper so hopefully it won't be too tight. I do have to raise it over the wheel well though :>P

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:39 pm

Bossman wrote:Dang Jim, you brought many old memories. Pops and I use to camp in the back of his full size pickup when I was a kid. We had 2 separate cots that was store bought with a spring mattress. Think we had like a foot between the two. Battery lights and we were good to go.
Yeah, my love for the outdoors comes from my dad. Me and my brother used to camp and fish with him almost every weekend when we were kids. Then we grew up and got too cool. Man I regret that because I missed out on a lot before he passed away. I've tried to instill that same love in my kids and now grandkids. One of my grandson's (4yrs old) got up the other morning and got dressed to go hunting and camping with grandpa. He had his camo on and his backpack packed with a stuffed dog and his pillow. He knows we have to wait until it gets cold though. I'm heading up to Liveoak with him and my son-in-law in early December to camp and shoot some squirrels and maybe a rabbit or two.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:27 am

Dang ive slept in the bed of the pickup many times!

SteveCal
scout

Post by SteveCal » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:03 am

7.1 miles west of the DeFuniak Springs airport traffic light on US 90. Do you know about the new truck stop at exit 70, Mossy Head?

I'll see if I can post a photo. I'm kind of computer illiterate but my eight year old grand-son can do it.

If you need protection from wild hogs in Luarel Hill give me a call. Freezer is getting low.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:38 am

SteveCal wrote:7.1 miles west of the DeFuniak Springs airport traffic light on US 90. Do you know about the new truck stop at exit 70, Mossy Head?

I'll see if I can post a photo. I'm kind of computer illiterate but my eight year old grand-son can do it.

If you need protection from wild hogs in Luarel Hill give me a call. Freezer is getting low.
Haha, yeah my grandkids are better on these things than me too. I've yet to see a hog up at Laurel Hill. I know they're up there or at least used to be but a couple of years back a fella put a hog trap on the back of the property near a stream and I think he trapped them all out! I've actually only heard them though camping. There's a lot of coyotes though. They have a party with the gut piles we dump.

I haven't seen the new truck stop. I'll check it out on the way up. I stopped at a big one in Texas last year that had all kinds of hunting and camping gear. It was like a Walmart! Man there was tons of people in there too getting fast food and just shopping. What a zoo! Made my head spin but I did see a cool bird plucker that was just a 5 gallon bucket with a water jet attachment (1/2" PVC fittings). I took some pictures of it because I can make that sucker too! It was called the Wild Game Washer.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Well I finally had a moment to grab the tape measure and and a pencil to start drafting up some plans for my project. I also went on the Home Depot website and priced what I'll need to build it as well as a folding truck mat for the bed. Looks like the total cost will be around $152.00 if my calculations are correct. That's still cheaper than buying just a truck mat. I plan on using indoor/outdoor carpet to cover both of them. I took some photos of my drawings in case anyone wanted some ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:04 pm

Went to HD today and picked up the supplies I needed to get started. I ordered the 3-way pvc elbows and two piano hinges from Amazon because they were a LOT cheaper. I'll get started on both projects tomorrow.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Ok, finally got out this morning to start on the cot frame. It went together easy enough but I really had to measure good for some of the cuts. I only cut one piece wrong so I consider it a success. I was able to use it in another spot so it wasn't wasted. once I get the decking cut and carpeted I'll post up a cut list and how-to so others can follow if they want to.
IMG_0839.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”