Best Tracking & E-Collar Set up

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Best Tracking & E-Collar Set up

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Season is just about here and its time to put the pup to work for real. I picked up a Weimeraner last August & have been training him to blood trail deer for the last 9 months using scent drags around our camp. I have always had him on a lead while training but am thinking about moving to off lead tracking. When off lead at home on walks he stays close, within 20 yards or so but I am concerned he comes up on a wounded dear that takes off. He'll be in the next county before any one catches up. I also like the idea of having the tracker when at camp and the dogs are running lose. I am concerned he picks up a scent and takes off after it. I do not intend to use him to hunt, only track. We have bears around and have seen him attempt to pick up their scent after finding scat around. I want to make sure I can call him back quickly.

I see a lot of different products out there but have no knowledge of what works the best and stands up to the punishment of moving through the brush in FL. Are there any units that allow you to set a boundary and then automatically turn on the e-collar to turn the dog? Any other things I should be taking into consideration?
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Best Tracking & E-Collar Set up

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:03 pm

I use the garmin alpha system

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”