What's the choice in a ladder stand?

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

What's the choice in a ladder stand?

Post by Bossman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:03 am

I'm in the market to buy a ladder stand or two this year. I'm kinda late in the game to be realizing that I need to be buying a stand or two. But I'm not complaining that someone stole my stands or anything... WAIT! Yes I am them low life son's of bitc... (breath) The woods were invaded by loggers this summer so I'm sure I know it was loggers that took them. Since I'm having to replace the stands I'm wanted to ask the forum what everybody's opinion on different ladder stands are. I don't have the years that Treefarmer has on me by no means. But 20 years playing soldier took its toll, and I need the comfort. So if you're going to sit for a long period of time and want comfort what would be your pick?
Bossman

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: What's the choice in a ladder stand?

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:48 am

I just did a bunch of research on double man stands, I find the ones with the largest platforms under the seat tend to be the easiest to get in and out of and move around on. The top 3 were the Muddy Rebel & Muddy Nexus, the largest was the Hawk Sasquatch. These typically runs in the high $300 range.

For half that price you can pick up a Millennium Double Man Vine Stand at Sportsman guide if you are a member;
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2122771
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:18 pm

I like the Remington.. but... some have a bar right in your back.. id check before you buy one.. but they have always listed me forever!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Bossman, your making me feel old! I've got 2 or 3 ladder stands and have no idea what brand they are. My delight used to be using climbing stands.
The welding shop at the local vocational school made some exact copies of the Amaker climber. I bought one for $25 back in the early 80's. Back then I had more "zoom" than good sense, the tales I could tell! Those were the days when safety belts were unheard of and the big spikes on the stand would make a pine tree bleed. Another maintenance man bought one and didn't like it so soon I had 2 Amaker style climbers. I was smart enough to actually lock both pieces, seat and foot rest with a chain to the pine tree. Then some jerk stole the back straps. Had new back straps made and added another eye for the chain to secure the new pieces. Always had to carry extra bolts and wing nuts, just in case. One year after a hurricane, the timber company had some loggers go in and salvage the storm timber right before the early M/L season that used to be in late October. I was ready with one of my stands hidden in a good looking spot and when I went to it, the stand, the chain, the lock and the tree were all gone.
Back to the ladder stands, get one with as many sections as possible 'cause you may need to be way up the tree and then if you only need a short stand just use a couple of ladder sections will do. Depends on the spot. I bought one ladder stand that had a rather narrow ladder and could not put both feet on a rung, that one was hard to climb before I had my knee and hip replaced. I gave it to one of my buddy's sons. Told him where it was and for him to go get it. It may still be there for all I know.
I'd still like to try one of those mirror type ground blinds like you got a few seasons back. Sittin' at ground level is probably going to be more in my future as I get older but I still have my original climber hanging in the barn.
Thought I'd babble a bit about stands, y'all have a good evenin'!
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:13 am

Treefarmer, I to had one of those Amaker style climbers that someone had copied. Yes it had the two spikes in it that would make the pine tree bleed sapp down into the seat at the bottom of the tree if you left it there over night. Back in the day if you had an Amaker you were in high cotton. I will also have to say that the Ghost blind mirror that your talking about is the bomb as well. Just sometimes I just like to get high... well up off the ground that is.
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Bossman,
The first deer I killed on the lease I've been on now for over 20 years, was from my Amaker copy. I was up a tall pine tree in the edge of an old clay pit, facing kinda northwest. I spotted the buck coming out of the scrub that was around the north side of the pit. The buck was just piddling along, browsing on what ever was along his path. In order to get the best view for my shot, I stood up. When I stood up, my camo coveralls were stuck to the metal seat with the pine tar. What an unusual sound late in the afternoon in the northwest Florida woods! The sound did stop the buck and my old Remington 700 30/06 did its' job.
I had not thought of that particular hazard, fresh pine tar on the seat and frame of the old Amaker style climbers in a long time. I'm sure that old stand still has dried pine tar still all over it.
I tried a couple of different climbers and never had the confidence in them as I did with the Amaker style. Once you set those spikes, you could dance a jig on the foot stand. I did learn that you should always tie the seat and the foot stand together with a short piece of dog rope. When moving the foot stand up with your feet it might just slip. Climbing with one of those stands always reminded me of my old Handyman Jack for some reason.
Handyman was the big name in jacks before Hi-Lift. When it came to successful woods travel back in the day a feller had to have a capable jack, and there's a whole bunch of tales in the story book too.
Treefarmer

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:23 am

I sat in a River's Edge or a Millennium a few years ago - it had the nylon or mesh fabric seat - kinda like a bench seat with back rest. It was real comfortable and had plenty of leg room. I have a big game 2 man ($80 special from Rural king) - it does the job, but the angle which it puts your legs and seat can get uncomfortable. No backrest either.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:01 pm

Dont like the metal seat and bigger is better. Lock the whole stand together. Yes i to have gone to my stand and found the double seat still hanging in the tree and the ladder and brace were gone. The ladder was locked to the tree only

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:12 pm

I ended up getting 2 Rivers Edge Jumbo Jack 17' Ladder Tree Stands and think that I will get a lot of good use out of them. I also found after I bought the stands another stand that was a Hawk Big Denali 1.5 Man Ladder Tree Stand that is close to the same and if I had seen it before hand I would have bought one each to have done a field comparison.
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:26 am

im fixing to go to rural king and get a ladder stand... just had this on cam.. on my property out back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:43 pm

Dang it man! Only 2 problems it was almost a month ago and at night. But I will say two fine bucks!
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:31 am

Yea i hadnt checked the cam in a while!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:33 am

I went and bought the new summit ladder stand. Walmart 218.00..

Buily quality..

I didnt put the 3rd ladder on cause the tree was funky up top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”