Cooler/Ice Chest

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

SWAMPFOX
scout

Cooler/Ice Chest

Post by SWAMPFOX » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:26 pm

I'm in the market for a new cooler/ice chest and while I can afford a Yetti, I'm not sure I wanna go there since I don't want to worry about some one stealing it outta my truck when I'm not around. Are there any coolers in the same class as a Yetti but without the "curb" appeal of one?

Thanks.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Cooler/Ice Chest

Post by treefarmer » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:43 pm

SWAMPFOX,
Yeti coolers withdrew their support from the NRA if you recall. I know there are comparable coolers on the market but is a cooler with that capability really needed? Folks on a week long trip away from civilization could justify the high priced extra quality coolers but just for the back of the truck and the temptation for some thief to walk off with it, give him a Coleman, Igloo or Rubbermaid! Just my opinion.
I just spent a couple of hundred bucks on parts for an old ice machine so I could have a quantity of ice on hand. I thought about it and I could have bought 130 bags of ice but that is not convenient when dressing and ageing deer.
Have a good Christmas!
Treefarmer

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Engel coolers are made here in Florida. I love mine had it for about 4 years now and it's been in the back of my truck the whole time. Looks good as new.

Academy sells the Magellan brand of roto molded cooler and I really like them for the price. Might check them out too if you have an Academy with driving distance.

Lots of others too. Search "roto molded cooler" on Google. Cost has come way down over the last couple years.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:25 pm

The walmart versions are just as good. I know cause i own a yeti and can compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:25 pm

I have a rtic and it is great and fair price. Orion is another I am looking at.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:55 pm

I agree with Treefarmer.
I have never had a cooler last a long time. The bigger they are the heavier they are, the shorter they live.

I am at the age I want them on wheels. I want them light. I use to be able to lift 150 qt coolers full. Now a hundred is tops and my back doesn't like it.
Weight out your needs. Alway best to make a list pros cons requirements so you get what you need.

SWAMPFOX
scout

Post by SWAMPFOX » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm

One of the things I gotta have is wheels. I never realized how convenient they are until the years began to take their toll on my back.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:51 am

I read a lot of reviews on the Walmart Ozark coolers and they were almost all positive. But, I've owned a couple of the 150qt Igloo (white) coolers over the past 10 years or so. Replace the hinges and latches every few years (or replace with stainless). Cooler was $70.00 - If it's full of ice it will keep the ice for 3-4 days as long as it isn't late summer oven type heat. Plus I put self adhesive window gaskets along the edges of lid - it sealed better too. It all depends on how long you need it to keep ice or will be in the field. Personally my needs never dictated a $600.00 cooler, but to each his own.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Freezing blocks of ice work better, they last longer I use to do allot of week end camping from late Friday to Sunday night. igloos and we generally added hogs and deer to them.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:40 pm

I have made a few trades and ended up with a Yeti Roadie 25qt and the Yeti Tub 85qt. Just recently won an auction at a CCA banquet and headed home with an Engle 30qt soft sided cooler. I prefer the Engle hands down, it can be strapped to an ATV, holds ice all weekend long and can change shape based on where you need to store it. The Tub is great for the boat when you know the lid is going to be lifted 50 times a day. No cooler is going to keep ice that way but the ease of taking the lid off and the depth of the tub, its about the perfect boat cooler for under the captains leaning seat.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”