An EASIER way to refill your Thermocell Cartridge.

Discuss your weapon of choice for hunting. Discuss problems or rants and raves about gear you use to get that trophy mount!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: An EASIER way to refill your Thermocell Cartridge.

Post by HCON3 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:45 am

I found that if you take a rusty needle to that center white piece under the valve it will just pull right out. If you leave it in the hole from the needle will just close back up. I pulled 18 centers out and refilled all of them with two butane canisters so all set for this year. The conair twin packs are like 6.99 at Wally world but I think they have quite carrying them the last time I checked as I was thinking of going that way till I started refilling them. Try the rusty needle thing it works!!!!

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:56 am

How do you make a Stainless Steel needle rust?

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:07 pm

But I want the needle back. If I send it to him, he'll f it up royally all right, but he won't give it back.

OldCrab
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by OldCrab » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:24 am

Thermacell users - I have been trying out alternatives to the refills they offer and found a great alternative for the pads -that is about 1/3 the cost - same ingredient 1/2 the size and a lil bit thicker - I use 1 and it lasts up to 6 hrs depending on which thermocell I use- I have 2 the newer 1 seems to burn at higher temp - 1 pad is perfect for moderate buggers and when they are thick I put in 2 pads and its keeps em at bay -

Please dont ask me for the source - or tell me what you use /that works for you - I dont care or want to use something that is not same stuff they use - or use other chemicals that may have bad effects - these are the same stuff thermacell uses -- the guys who I have gave samples to have came back and bought them in bulk -- each pad is in its own foil seal just like the original - there are vids on you tube to refill the butane - if you buy from me I will tell you how I do it that is way easier and faster

I got a great deal on them and am willing to put some into your hands - 100 pads for $32 / $33 if you use PayPal shipped to your door - thats about 3 bucks over my cost - so i`m not making a killing just a lil bit for my time :911 :pow
Calling illegal aliens “undocumented workers” is like calling drug dealers “unlicensed pharmacists”…

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:26 pm

NOT looking for your source, but are they something made by you or a major mfgr?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I have turned the Plantcity Walmart upside down and cant find the big butane cans any where . And asking the any of the blue vest folks is about worthless. They just look at me like..... Butane ?.....whats that..? :help Ive got a bunch of cartridges ready to go,all I need is some juice.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:00 pm

born2hunt wrote:I have turned the Plantcity Walmart upside down and cant find the big butane cans any where . And asking the any of the blue vest folks is about worthless. They just look at me like..... Butane ?.....whats that..? :help Ive got a bunch of cartridges ready to go,all I need is some juice.
Cigar depot is where I get mine. Any cigar store should have them. Make sure to buy the one with the 5 adapters on the can cap.
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:39 pm

I Have used any of them just sometimes you need to sand the tip down just a bit to fit in the nipple. I've also heard that the mosquito coils are made of the same thing and work but haven't tried them yet...

:saluting
Bossman

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:03 pm

nachogrande wrote:NOT looking for your source, but are they something made by you or a major mfgr?
I think I read somewhere he posted that he buys bulk from a manufacturer.
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 pm

In most Korean/Oriental stores you can find mats made for little electric heaters, that are about the same size and use the same peremethrin chemical. In other countries, like India, Philippines, Singapore, Pakistan, Brazil, South Africa, etc. you can buy a product made by SCJohnson and labeled as a Raid product. There are also Chinese manufacturers putting out the mosquito repellent mats, if you want to buy 1500 cartons! :D
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 am

MADE IN CHINA? Now that's scary. I thought my home brew MIGHT be toxic.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:34 pm

nachogrande wrote:MADE IN CHINA? Now that's scary. I thought my home brew MIGHT be toxic.
And you believe The Schawbel Corporation has all the Thermacell products made where exactly? :wacko
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Mr. Lolo wrote:
born2hunt wrote:I have turned the Plantcity Walmart upside down and cant find the big butane cans any where . And asking the any of the blue vest folks is about worthless. They just look at me like..... Butane ?.....whats that..? :help Ive got a bunch of cartridges ready to go,all I need is some juice.
Cigar depot is where I get mine. Any cigar store should have them. Make sure to buy the one with the 5 adapters on the can cap.
Thanks , never thought to look there. I go through several of the big value packs every season so with refilling and trying Gary's pads I hope to save a little money next season.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:58 pm

NOT CHINA, somewhere safe like Mexico, Pakistan, etc. you know some country that loves pollution.

OldCrab
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OldCrab » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:15 pm

nachogrande wrote:NOT looking for your source, but are they something made by you or a major mfgr?
they are made by a mfgr.
Calling illegal aliens “undocumented workers” is like calling drug dealers “unlicensed pharmacists”…

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Return to “HUNTING GEAR & EQUIPTMENT FORUM”