dove season

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Re: dove season

Post by M12Gunboy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 am

It was a good day in the field. Nacho and Wingshooter were killing machines, between the three of us I counted 10 birds down I shot which were recovered by other hunters, lost or recovered by the black lab another hunter had in the field and another 10-15 which nacho and wingshooter downed which we couldn't recover. Birds started flying early about 2 and finally wingshooter decided to uncase his 1187 12 Gauge after a few pull pork sandwiches and some sweet tea off the back of his Chevy PU. Shooting started and it was game on from 2-5 pm when the sun decided to come backout. Most of the time you couldn't shoot and load your gun fast enough to make all of the shots. I believe most of the birds were native birds and the northern birds haven't shown up yet, which is a great sign given the number of birds flying. All in all it was a great time with good company and fantastic hunt for this early in the season.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:15 am

I can't compete with you guys shooting one handed!!

I believe you are right Rob. I always like to go after the first major cold front and a strong North wind
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 am

I have to give them a fighting chance and that's why I changed to shooting one of my 20 Gauge Winchester Model 12 Pump guns back in 2010 from 12 gauge. It's gonna be a great year for killing doves, I can assure you after this hunt!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 am

drgnstr, you couldn't have missed me, I was the guy that looked like he was tarred & feathered. dove feathers stick like glue to bbq sauce.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:23 am

yep nacho had plenty of faethers stuck on him
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 am

Man i am going to be saving to get out there one weekend! sounds like ya'll had a great time!!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 am

Nacho, if you guys were near the black lab I saw, I know where you were at now. I was about 400 yards from you.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 am

yeah, we weren't hard to see. I looked liked big bird, russ's nose and ears were sunburn't like rudolph's nose and m-12 was wearing some kind of leafyflage lingerie.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 pm

yep sunburnt nose and ears think i would know better. still had a great shoot, love wearing shorts and t shirt while hunting. drgn4sr did you happen to see the group with the bbq gril set up looks like they had a good time too. will deffinately go again.

drgn4sr

Post by drgn4sr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:50 pm

wingshooter wrote:yep sunburnt nose and ears think i would know better. still had a great shoot, love wearing shorts and t shirt while hunting. drgn4sr did you happen to see the group with the bbq gril set up looks like they had a good time too. will deffinately go again.
was thAT the group by the main gate??? looked like 5-6 vehicles parked on the right driving in?? they were doing some serious tailgating when I last saw them around 4:15 pm, when I left. thought I was at the gator game. :clap

drgn4sr

Post by drgn4sr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:52 pm

next time we will trade ph. #s

ShotGunEd
scout

dove season

Post by ShotGunEd » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Sounds like a good time I'll definatly have to head out there. When's the next time everyone is meeting up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:14 pm

not real sure when the next time we can all go as i am the real Al Bundy, married with children. if you're over 35 ish you know what i mean. :taz

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:25 pm

went out sunday afternoon and knocked down a few. they were flying pretty high and it was windy out. hard hunting but i found my groove torwards the end, didn't limit out, but i have had much worse days. i think 9 was the total for me and as always we donated the birds to some of the farmworkers that work for the landowner. my decoys seemed to do a fairly good job, i think we had around 25 decoys out, mostly birds that clamped on to fence lines, a wind driven one and a few mechanicals. good times!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:36 pm

stopped by ww today cause one of the old timers that i shoot with asked for me to pick up some more decoys for him. they were out of them on the shelves, as i was exiting the sporting goods section, i saw a box that was opened that was full of them. had the guy check the price and they were still 6 birds for 7 bucks, so i bought four more bags of birds. they sure look good sitting on the fence. between those, the mechanicals, wind driven and the awesome millet fields, the birds are coming in good. not sure how good sunday will be as it will probably be pretty windy. maybe i will wait til next weekend to shoot, maybe not.

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”