2013 Doves

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: 2013 Doves

Post by nachogrande » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Who needs a STINKING bucket? A lil hand trowel comes in handy to bury the evidence.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm out on at least the first two weekends. Maybe most of them, unfortunately. Just got my son's baseball schedule. Between that and work it is doubtful that I can make any of phase one.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:09 pm

too bad, a few new faces wouldn't be bad. A great way to break in kids or newbies, guaranteed action. more like a picnic with some shooting in between food courses, tall tales and show and tell. Even age appropriate behavior if kids are present. Dogs to the front of the line. Russ R_U bringing your stove?, I'll bring a dutch oven.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:25 pm

do you guys shoot 2nd and 3rd phase? I could be down for some of those I am sure. I usually take the boy with me, he is a good bird dog and occasionally hits one with his single shot .410. Next year I will upgrade him to a 20.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:24 pm

what we have been doing is hunting the first day of each phase. the idea being that the birds are less spooked if they have a break. Last year phase 3 they were high and fast, knocking the feathers off them, they didn't even seem to notice and were much more wary about spotting hunters.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

what we have been doing is hunting the first day of each phase. the idea being that the birds are less spooked if they have a break. Last year phase 3 they were high and fast, knocking the feathers off them, they didn't even seem to notice and were much more wary about spotting hunters.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:23 am

Yep bringing the stove and its loaded in the truck. I will bring some cooking pans and what not. Got most of my gear in the truck now. Will get the coolers iced down tonight and load in the morning. Ran into a minor issue with the choke tubes. They were super tight and very hard to remove. Once removed I noticed a very minor bit of rust on the threads. This is the first issue Ive ever had so I was shocked. So a little never seize and light oil solved the problem. Found a box of low brass field loads # 7 1/2 in steel cant even remember how I got them. Never know what ill find digging in the gear box. See yall at O ten hundred. May have two new duck hunter guys coming out as well.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

ShotGunEd
scout

2013 Doves

Post by ShotGunEd » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Good luck everyone tomorrow...have fun and be safe. I'll be at Hilochee with the kids.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks, you too.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

2013 Doves

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:49 am

God im just lost. Been checking the thread but didn't realize it was this weekend.

Good luck guys!

Sent from my killphone.

cottontop
scout

Post by cottontop » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Hey guys. I'm brand new to the forum. I found it while looking for a place to dove hunt. I called the guy in Davenport and got the address. I will be out the 2nd or 3rd Saturday. The guy I talked to was very nice and said there should be no problem for me to hunt there. I am in Mulberry. How did you guys do opening day? Did you see many birds?
cottontop

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:33 pm

I killed 7. Birds were not flying. We only saw maybe 100 birds all day. Must still be too hot. Northern birds haven't arrived yet. A good time was had and we had about 10-12 weapons for "show and tell". Nacho gets the award of the day for being the gourmet chef! Awesome chicken breasts and red potatoes in a dutch oven. Everyone who didn't make it missed out on a great day in the field again!

cottontop
scout

Post by cottontop » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:01 pm

I just talked to Steve and he said for me to come on out. I'll be there this Saturday around 12:00 or so to check in, etc. The weather has gotten a little cooler, but not really enough to bring down the northern birds. Maybe the cooler temps will make the local birds stir a little. I'm bringing my old 16 gauge Belgian Guild side x side. Should be a good one for show and tell. It has an interesting choke combination; i.e., the right barrel is wide open cyclinder and the left barrel is a very tight full. Hope to meet some of you guys there. Looking forward to a fun hunt.
cottontop

cottontop
scout

Post by cottontop » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:36 pm

I made it out to the Davenport dove field yesterday. Everyone was very nice and I had a great time. Did not see very many hunters though. Seems like there were not enough hunters to keep birds moving. I did not see very many birds. Shot at a few, dropped one. I did like the way the place is laid out. There are many many oak and pine hammocks were a hunter can sit in the shade near his truck and be pretty well hidden to approcahing doves. So how did you who went yesterday do?

I do have a question for some of you guys who have hunted there a lot. What is the latest time that you can arrive? I got there at 11:30 and found it was way too early as I didn't really see any birds flying until around 4:30 or so. I was wondering if it would be ok to arrive there around 2:00 and still get to pay and sign in.
cottontop

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”