Crow Hunting

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Crow Hunting

Post by fishindad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:58 am

OK... so I know this is an odd query. I know where you can dove hunt, but what about crow hunting around here. Seems like that would be alot of fun. Some of those crows are pretty decent sized too!

Fishindad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: Crow Hunting

Post by Bossman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Never looked into just when you can hunt them... But I did know that you can get a ticket for hunting them out of season.

:salute3d
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Never thought much about shooting crows since I was a kid. We used to pop'em with bb guns. Anyhow, I don't shoot what I ain't gonna eat now unless it's trying to eat me. With that being said I decided to take a look on the web to see if anybody ate crow...and not in the philosophical sense. :phear

So here's what I found. It actually don't look too bad. I'd be inclined to try it.

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:01 pm

I used to hunt crows when I was a kid in upstate NY, but we shot them because they were a nuisance to crops and the short growing season. Never would I have even considered eating crow given what they eat, a crow is kinda like a Black Seagull, or flying rat... I will say they are fun to shoot....

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:18 pm

If I do manage to get some... I will try it. Prob be like anything else. Tastes good if cooked right.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Their like a mini buzzard. Yeah I'll pass on the eating part. :puke

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Crow Hunting

Post by Ironcat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:46 am

Lobster, crab, squab, gator, hog...
Lots of animals we eat do double duty on the buzzard brigade...

I still ain't eatin' no crow though!

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:30 am

here's a good reason!

Where their ranges overlap, crows severely impact the annual waterfowl populations. When the hens begin laying, crows break open and eat the eggs. Later they will return and devour the fledglings. In the 40's a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian "Duck Factory". It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per
crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks. During the same year, sportsman only took 11,000,000 ducks. A common slogan of the time was "Kill a crow, Save a duck". At a time when waterfowl seasons are being dramatically reduced and even canceled, the survival rate of waterfowl at their breeding grounds is paramount. Shooting crows can make a real difference. Crows also take a heavy toll on upland game birds, including direct responsibility for at least 4 1/2 percent nest depredation on ruffed grouse and in California crows have been implicated in the endangerment of the Mojave desert tortoise. They also prey on small mammals such as rabbits and squirrels and have been known to kill prey as large as newborn lambs.

jesse
scout

Post by jesse » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:34 am

the best place to hunt them is at a roost where they gather by the hundreds to spend the night another place likely to have crows now is a pecan grove the owner should be glad to see you as they are a major pest . they peck a hole in many nuts per day causing more damage than squirrel's. 22rifle required for groves. to hunt them near a corn /peanut field or open area use a owl decoy and a couple crow decoys and call them .note you must kill the first one that comes to the decoy. the rest will think that the owl killed him and will attack in mass .crow are a pest and with modern agriculture ie. unlimited food supply. the population is out of control thus no bag limit .i believe the impact on native bird game birds and songbirds reason enough to kill them. eat them no.now if only we had a feral cat season

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:17 am

I prefer a 12 gauge pump or semi with a modified choke and #6 or #7 1/2 shot..... put/nail/strap the owl decoy on the top of a fence post..... jesse is right on.... with his advise....

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:25 pm

born2hunt wrote:Their like a mini buzzard. Yeah I'll pass on the eating part. :puke
Haha...girls. You mean you ain't never eat no range chicken??? I say any meat is worth trying once. If its nasty then don't eat it again. You'd be surprised at what comes across your plate on a mission trip to a 3rd world country. I'm heading to Africa at the end of the month for 14 days and fully expect to be eating some strange fare. :chinese

Heck, most of you folks have eat catfish and crabs. What do you think they eat? Whatever is dead on the bottom. Now I ain't sayin' that I'll purposefully go out and hunt crow for a meal but if/when times get tough, it may start making a lot more sense. :chef Might as well start perfecting those recipes to your tastes.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:32 pm

9dawgs wrote:
born2hunt wrote:Their like a mini buzzard. Yeah I'll pass on the eating part. :puke
Haha...girls. You mean you ain't never eat no range chicken??? I say any meat is worth trying once. If its nasty then don't eat it again. You'd be surprised at what comes across your plate on a mission trip to a 3rd world country. I'm heading to Africa at the end of the month for 14 days and fully expect to be eating some strange fare. :chinese

Heck, most of you folks have eat catfish and crabs. What do you think they eat? Whatever is dead on the bottom. Now I ain't sayin' that I'll purposefully go out and hunt crow for a meal but if/when times get tough, it may start making a lot more sense. :chef Might as well start perfecting those recipes to your tastes.
Yeah... no... Been there done that with the unknown stuff overseas, middle east, asia, central america... How about marsh hens? Ever tried one of them, it's like eating salty chicken that tastes like seaweed....

Cook you some Crow and let us know how it turns out. Buzzard is supposed to be excellent too.... Not me my friend.... shart has to get real bad before I have to eat Sea Gull, Crow, Marsh Hens or Crow....

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”