Myakka WMA Snipe

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

cottontop
scout

Myakka WMA Snipe

Post by cottontop » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:34 am

Has anyone ever hunted the Myakka State Game Area? I saw a video posted by a guide service, Sarasota Outfitters, and they were guiding snipe hunts there. In the video, it looked like they were in some semi flooded fields that looked like great snipe habitat. This is a small game and shotguns only area so there would be no bird hunter/deer hunter clashes. If you have hunted there or even been there, what were your results? Are there a lot of open areas for snipe, or are these snipe type areas limited? I am looking for more options for snipe hunting on public land. It's about 100 miles from where I live, but it may be worth the drive if there are some snipe fields there.
cottontop

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: Myakka WMA Snipe

Post by Kortsman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:20 am

Try using google maps to get a lay of the land. You can probably find those general areas. Then you'll have to get out there on foot and scout them out.
If people are guiding, you'll have to get out there early, but they can't "claim" the area.

cottontop
scout

Re: Myakka WMA Snipe

Post by cottontop » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Kortsman, you are correct. Thanks for the tip. The google sat. map showed lots of fields where there are few if any trees. It is a pretty big area so there should be plenty of fields for everybody.
cottontop

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”