Gonna try to get a few quail

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Gonna try to get a few quail

Post by DONY1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Gonna try a little quail hunting next weekend on our lease and have a few questions. Never done any bird hunting before so bear with me. Seem to flush them on a regular basis when scouting so figured a couple of us would give it a shot next weekend between hunts. No dogs, just gonna walk a little. First off, I only have a 12 ga. Super Mag Express and wanted to know what choke and shells y'all reccomend. 2nd, I hate to walk through the woods without a deer gun so should I carry another rifle or maybe a slug as my 1st shell or just stick to the 45 on my side? 3rd, on the risk of being too hopeful, what's the best way to cook 'em up? Thanks for any help.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Re: Gonna try to get a few quail

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:34 pm

bird shot. open choke. side arm. dont back up with slug.. cause if you miss youll be shooting a slug at the bird if you go for a second or third shot.

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:06 pm

LOL I thought about that, slug on a quail or even worse bird shot on a nice buck. :death

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:08 pm

7 1/2 shot will work good. imp or mod choke. as far as carrying something else for deer, that is up to you. i would not put a slug in while your bird hunting. my favorite for quail is the just breast them out. debone the breasts, cut in to strips, batter and fry, like chicken fingers. if you want to cook them whole (like cornish hens) the best way is the scald them and pull all the feathers. leave the skin. and cook in a roasting bag.
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:17 pm

gonna try and bust a few when i go back to my lease. overrun with them.
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for the input. Gonna head out tomorrow and get some shot. Guess I'll just carry the 45. Seems like we've got a ton of them too so thought I'd give it a try.

crzipper
scout

Post by crzipper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 am

It's hard to bird hunt without a dog so make sure you mark your downed birds carefully. They can be hard to find. I would use improved cylinder; 7 1/2 or 8's. The best way to cook is to skin them, remove the breast, cut the legs off. Clean them well, remove all small feathers. Season them to your taste (Lawrey's season salt & pepper). Coat them in a 50/50 mixture of egg whites & milk , them shake them to coat in a bag of flour. Deep fry; do not overcook; when they float to the top and get brown, they are done.
Kate

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:04 am

Wrap breast in bacon, cook on grill till medium :chef :chef :chef :chef :chef
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:08 am

Everything tastes better with bacon. LOL

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 am

the reason youre seeing quail is cuz your carrying a deer gun ,I'm sure when you've got a quail gun you'll see deer. and plan on doing more than a little walking. I'm sure a 12 ga with 7 1/2 shot is ok cuz they will flush , or run further ahead of you than if you had a dog. and finding downed birds without a dog is gonna be tough. the thing about a good bird dog is that they not only find the birds but hold them and give you more time to prepare for the shot and then bring them back to you. and they will save you alot of walking. plus watching a good dog work is almost as fun as shooting birds. when using dogs I think you'ld be better off with a 20 or 28 ga dbl bbl so you can have a diff choke for 1st and 2nd shot. jmo
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:19 am

As far as eating quail,if you don't have any luck the Cypress inn in Cross City serves them and they are awesome.I had some there a few weeks ago that were deep fried. In fact, I enjoyed them so much I think I am gonna raise about 100 of them this spring. Might even get a few pheasent and chuckars too. We have so many foxes and coyotes here you don't hear them or see them much anymore. I was listening to some yotes out in Croom last nite.

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”