Quail? Anyone?

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

FloridaBucknut
scout

Quail? Anyone?

Post by FloridaBucknut » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Anyone seen any at all? Thought about scoping around out at Richloam. Any input would be great!

rackman

Post by rackman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Theres better populations at croom and thats not even all that good. best public quail hunts are on the north side of the state :cry:

FloridaBucknut
scout

Post by FloridaBucknut » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Makes sense. I was just hoping to get the doggies some fun time. My Black Lab is probably worth about $5k, and I paid $2k for my 6mo. old chocolate. They are the best dogs in the world, it just kills me to have them only get out once a year or so now since we moved down from Ohio 4 years ago

rackman

Post by rackman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:24 pm

FloridaBucknut wrote:Makes sense. I was just hoping to get the doggies some fun time. My Black Lab is probably worth about $5k, and I paid $2k for my 6mo. old chocolate. They are the best dogs in the world, it just kills me to have them only get out once a year or so now since we moved down from Ohio 4 years ago
I promised myself a shotty for Xmas. duck season is open thill Jan. 25 ;-) ;-)

FloridaBucknut
scout

Post by FloridaBucknut » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:29 pm

I wouldn't mind doing some duck hunting either, but holy crap the amount of regulations and numbers on the limits and the amount of different types... I could never keep it straight!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by houseofmicah » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:19 pm

you could do like the idiots were doing in georgia this past weekend and shoot first, sort later and hope you dont get caught, but i dont think that is a good method.

rackman

Post by rackman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:41 pm

houseofmicah wrote:you could do like the idiots were doing in georgia this past weekend and shoot first, sort later and hope you dont get caught, but i dont think that is a good method.
I think the key word here is G E O R G I A !!!!!! a place where nothin says lovin like sleepin with your cousin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:50 pm

i hunted in dooly county, saw some great deer on the trail cams, but they seemed to be nocturnal. its a qdm county, so 15" inside spread or better and it shows.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:44 pm

houseofmicah wrote:i hunted in dooly county, saw some great deer on the trail cams, but they seemed to be nocturnal. its a qdm county, so 15" inside spread or better and it shows.
My dad's lease is about 80 miles NE of Dooly, up in eastern side of Johnson County. They implemented minimum limits on antler size, and also encouraged the taking of older does. They go up to plant/maintain food plots and put out feeders during closed season (can't use them in Johnson county during the hunting season). They've had the lease about 5 years, and the deer are improving every year. One guy took two 8-pointers this year, both around 170lbs. There are 2 "ghost" bucks on the property, one 10-point and another huge 8-point. They have found their shed antlers the last two years, and my dad saw the 10 point one night jump the road about 200 yards from camp!

As for quail, we hear them all the time, and sometimes hear shotguns and dogs we think must be quail hunters on nearby leases (no deer dogs allowed on any leases in the area). I sat on the stand one morning and watched a covey work its way across a hill, wishing I had a 12 guage with #8 shot instead of a .243 in my hand!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

hooksetz
scout

Post by hooksetz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:19 pm

small game in Upper Hillsborough you can use your bird dogs, I see 'em there every year . and there are a lot of birds out there. No quota needed for the small game either. I'm taking rabbit dogs in there this year.

hooksetz
scout

Post by hooksetz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:22 pm

But also in richloam by the old cow pens (west side of 471) off clay sink. there are probably 50 acres of planted pines with tons of under brush and fence lines, I've jumped a couple of limits there over the years on foot.

FloridaBucknut
scout

Post by FloridaBucknut » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:41 pm

Awesome! Thanks guys, soon as I get a free weekend I will try to get that way. Appreciate the info.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:45 am

im game for duck!

Tiger&LionGSP
scout

Re: Quail? Anyone?

Post by Tiger&LionGSP » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:23 am

Anyone getting ready for the upcoming ??
I am always looking for place to run my 2 GSP.

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Re: Quail? Anyone?

Post by kemster99 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:30 pm

usually get my deer hunting out of the way. then do a couple bird hunts. but they are pen raised birds. usually pheasant. might do some quail this year. I know my lease has abunch of quail on it, scare the crap out of me in the mornings going to my stand. dove also.
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”