Dove Hunts in FL

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

frankwt

Re: Dove Hunts in FL

Post by frankwt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:25 am

LOL Papa.mmmm mmmm good!

Wingshooter, Yeah my outfitter went up to 25 this year damn it...but I have 3 WMA close, you may too, check them out!

frankwt

Re: Dove Hunts in NW FL

Post by frankwt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:40 pm

FYI scouting report, This is Blackwater WMA Public Dove Field so you need the WMA permit and a valid dove stamp, if you are ever going to be checked it is here...Frank

SO...Beaver Creek Rd off Hwy 4 about 6 miles N of Baker FL. GPS N 30 52.410 X W 86 46.147 that is 1 entrance, the second but actually the first you come to is N 30 52.302 X W 86 45.854 the hunting is E of those and between them. There are 3 large millet fields and fairly good roads to them (2WD), I will call and be sure they will be cut prior to the 2nd. In 45 minutes at about 2:30 I spotted about 20 dove. It is still 3 Sat away so hope they hold or it gets better, I will not scout again till opening day.

There are 2 other fields 15-20 miles away that did not look near as good, I have those GPS too if you want them, I am not going to bother.

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by wingshooter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Frank, sounds like you have a wide varioty of places to hunt dove birds. Down here in central Fl the demand is high and supply is low so naturally the pricing is high. I will just go back to the tried and true public land. Just have to wait a few more weekends till I can break out the mighty 28 ga. By the way, how far are the dove fields you have access to from the Tampa / Lakeland area. :toast
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Wingshooter, Damn, Tampa is like another State way from me or the lease 7-8 hrs...sorry, would love to have you up hunting. Plug the above coordinates into mapquest or google earth and it will tell you... or put in Baker FL Frank

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks Frank, I had a feeling it would be a fairly long road trip. Will be be out this weekend shooting clay birds. All of this is just a warm up for the serious wing shooting.....DUCKS !!!!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm

where will you be shooting clays>?

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:44 pm

House, toss up between Imperial Trap ans Skeet in Winter Haven or Tenorock. Both are nice.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 am

have not shot at either. maybe ill take a trip up and check it out sometime. i have done most of my shooting at sarasota trap and skeet at knights trail in nokomis

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 am

houseofmicah wrote:have not shot at either. maybe ill take a trip up and check it out sometime. i have done most of my shooting at sarasota trap and skeet at knights trail in nokomis
My shoulder still hurts!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:55 am

sissy
haha

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 am

I bought a Benelli 12 ga for this year and will switch between it and my 11-87 20ga...I did put a limbsaver recoil pad on the 12ga...I must say it did not help with the 00Buck...LOL

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Seems several I know are coming to Bear Creek, lets all try to say HI, My Truck is my avatar and I will most likely be down the first road to the filed all the way in the back. Water during the hunt, beer after as we are cleaning the birds.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:25 pm

wait till you try the 3 1/2" turkey loads in the benelli, worse than 00, better bring a cryin towell. I just ordered some of those 3 1/2" dixie tri-balls 3- 70 cal balls 2oz's, recoil can't get any worse I imagine.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:29 pm

No the 00buck was enough, I am shooting a lighter Turkey load, if they die they die, if not they fly away...LOL

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Remember you need the WMA permit and a valid Dove(depending on the date you got your license they expire before your license, new ones are free)
Here are the locations of 2 other public Dove fields on Buddy Hardy Rd and Old Spanish Trail out of Milton and off the Munson Hwy. They are pretty close to each other.

N 30* 49.98 W 86* 58.55

N 30* 48.654 W 86* 52.418

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”