Dove Hunts in FL

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Re: Dove Hunts in FL

Post by Glowworm » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:54 am

Just got back from Royce dove hunt this Saturday.

Let me tell you there were some doves! I unfortunatly got to shoot at all the bulllet proof doves, only killing 2 of them.
I was at the end of the line where the doves were flying, as there were serveral (problably a dozen or more) hunters ahead of me.
They all seemed to begin flying at the front of the line, and by the time the doves got to me, they were either bulletproof(had flack vests on) or where in afterburner mode and moving like a rocket.

Needless to say of the ones I shot at, I only bagged 2. I must have shot at over a dozen birds.

I am going to blame most of my misses on my really bad cold/broncitus I am suffering with at the moment.

Otherwise i am a very decent shot at sporting clays hitting 80 out of 100 clays in a day of shooting. And my best score at skeet was 24 out of 25, so I am no slouch with a shotgun. Which is Why I think they were bullet proof birds :)

Anyways I had a good time, I got to spend some good time in the field and while I missed a mess of birds I did enjoy shooting at them.

G
New season coming up!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:41 am

yep they move pretty fast after being shot at a bunch of times and also further away most likely, wouldn't you. btw what ga/choke and shot size were you using? some " fast" handloads in 7 1/2 or 6's, if really far away may have helped. I never hunted them on a pay basis, just when the grains were on the grass in colo they would come in by the 100's and be so full they could hardly fly and with no hunting pressure were low and slow and would burst like confetti when hit.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Well I use the same shot I use for sporting clays.

Winchester White box target load 2 3/4" number 9 heavy load
My 12 ga mossburg 500 28" , barrel with accu-choke system, improved choke installed, m-4 pistolgrip adjustable stock.
Now for part of the time I did switch out to my modified choke with no difference.

I did my best to wait for the last possible moment to shoot the birds (as close as I could get them) so as to not have to reach out and tag them.
New season coming up!

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Doves just move in ways those clay pigeons can't! I don't care how good the shooters are, more dove escape the dove hunt than ever get harvested, I'll guarantee it!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:38 pm

now remember this is JMO, but #9 is too small a shot and won't carry enough energy at any distance over 40 yd's ( if that ) to kill and knock down a live bird. clay maybe, but not a dove with more wt and momentum than clay and feathers to soften the blow. I'll bet you were hitting them but causing no significant damage. try again with 7 1/2's or 6's if you think it's needed and I bet you'll limit out. and while youre at it spring for the high brass hunting loads. they may place shot size limits ( for group safety ) in a group hunt area so pellets won't travel as far or retain as much energy. but I'd bet it's the shot size, not your shooting that wasn't bringing them down. size does matter.and if shots are going to be long try the full choke.

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by wingshooter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Made a trip to Richloam WMA on Sunday to do a little bird hunting. I dont think the birds have made it down from the great white north yet. Had a great time just being in the woods and looking for places to hunt.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 am

HAHA! Thanks for all the tips, I have a dove quota for saturday down in Punta Gorda, I will swing by the gun store and pick up some 7 1/2 magnums and see if that doesnt put a dent in them birds!
also which do you prefer lead shot or the new steel stuff? In know the tree-hugger crowd would like us all to be forced to use steel shot or not hunt at all. I have only used steel shot once at a skeet range that only allows steel stuff, which made my trip there a bit more expensive as I was forced to buy there ammo.

but it didnt seem to fly any differently from my gun than the lead?
New season coming up!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:54 am

all I ever owned was a mossy mdl 500 with 2 bbl's the first 12-13 years I hunted, no scope, and tripled on grouse, made my longest one shot kill on deer, all my best shots were with that gun and took every kind of game short of bear and elk with it.still maintain it's made from cheap alloy metal and plastic, but gets the job done. compare one side by side with a mdl 12 and see what real steel looks like.and forget the steel shot, get a hard plated lead pellet if you can,but reg 7 1/2's field loads should be fine.and tighten that choke up if birds are over 25 yd's.

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:46 am

2 3/4 or 3", 7 1/2 lead shot Mod or Imp choke and you will be fine.

JDiaz
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by JDiaz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:10 am

frankwt wrote:2 3/4 or 3", 7 1/2 lead shot Mod or Imp choke and you will be fine.

Yep. Also don't rush to take your shot. I get excited and forget to stay calm. I'm also a member of the "clays are not live birds by any chance" club. Congrats and keep it up. :toast
Ducks and doves are more important than deers and hogs.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:00 am

nacho grande wrote:
now remember this is JMO, but #9 is too small a shot and won't carry enough energy at any distance over 40 yd's ( if that ) to kill and knock down a live bird. clay maybe, but not a dove with more wt and momentum than clay and feathers to soften the blow. I'll bet you were hitting them but causing no significant damage. try again with 7 1/2's or 6's if you think it's needed and I bet you'll limit out. and while youre at it spring for the high brass hunting loads. they may place shot size limits ( for group safety ) in a group hunt area so pellets won't travel as far or retain as much energy. but I'd bet it's the shot size, not your shooting that wasn't bringing them down. size does matter.and if shots are going to be long try the full choke.

forgot the part about a mossy not be a good enough shotgun to kill a dove

I like 12 gauge, 2 3/4", 7 1/2 shot with a full choke...

As Nacho states the Mossberg will kill them as dead as anything. If you are seriuos about weapons, you'd probably want to get the money that you have invested in a gun, back one day if you ever need, have or want to sell it. The Mossberg 500 will never be anything but a $150-250 gun... I have an H&R 20 gauge single shot, shoots great, bought it in 84 for $60.00 and I'd be lucky to get $60.00 for it today...

Quality not Quantity. I just can't believe that it's that difficult for most folks on our forum to understand this logic.

Buy a $9K KIA and see what you have and what it's worth in 5 years verse a $20K Chevy... Simple math people...

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:32 am

M12Gunboy wrote: ...
Buy a $9K KIA and see what you have and what it's worth in 5 years verse a $20K Chevy... Simple math people...
In 5 years you'll have a KIA worth $4500-6000 and a Chevy worth $9000-10,000. Wait two more years, the KIA is worth $3000 and the Chevy is worth $5000. Who's losing more money?
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:41 am

I agree. That being the case, I drove many a hoopty (under $2000 cars, instead of buying a $10K one) and then put $8K down on a $20K truck... I saved my money for quality weapons and traded my cheaper stuff off, but that has taken me 27 years to get the collection of usable hunting, clays, and target guns I have. I don't consider a $400-$500 Remy 870, 1100 or 1187 top quality, but they will definately increase in value over a $299.00 Dicks Mossberg 500... $100 more and you can at least get your money back if you have to.

The deals are out there right now because people are hurting. Guns that normally sell for $600-1500 are going for $200-500. Just bought another Win Model 12 Solid Rib 3" Duck gun which blue books for $1800-2200 for $503 delivered and I really had to scrape for the $500.00. 3-5 years and I can sell it for 5X the money if I have to.

My point being, don't go to Gander, Bass Pro, Dicks, or Wally World and spend $300 on junk just so you can say you have one more when you can find excellent quality used stuff on sale...

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:45 am

IMHO in 5 years you'll be lucky if the KIA even runs or has any finish left on the paint and the Chevy/Ford is good for another 5 years of use.

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 am

You're hoping in 3-5 years we'll be out of this mess and you can sell your guns for 5X the money! Might be you having to sell $1500 guns for $600 if Obama and Pelosi stay around. Heck, might wind up having them high $$ guns confiscated if they decide we only have the right to "X" number of guns. Lord knows I hope not, and I'll fight to the end to prevent it, but you never know.
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”