Dove Hunts in FL

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

frankwt

Re: Dove Hunts in FL

Post by frankwt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Seems several I know are coming to Bear Creek, lets all try to say HI, My Truck is my avatar and I will most likely be down the first road to the filed all the way in the back. Water during the hunt, beer after as we are cleaning the birds.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:25 pm

wait till you try the 3 1/2" turkey loads in the benelli, worse than 00, better bring a cryin towell. I just ordered some of those 3 1/2" dixie tri-balls 3- 70 cal balls 2oz's, recoil can't get any worse I imagine.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:29 pm

No the 00buck was enough, I am shooting a lighter Turkey load, if they die they die, if not they fly away...LOL

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Remember you need the WMA permit and a valid Dove(depending on the date you got your license they expire before your license, new ones are free)
Here are the locations of 2 other public Dove fields on Buddy Hardy Rd and Old Spanish Trail out of Milton and off the Munson Hwy. They are pretty close to each other.

N 30* 49.98 W 86* 58.55

N 30* 48.654 W 86* 52.418

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by wingshooter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:54 pm

House come on up and give either place a try. Tenorock in Lakeland is a large facility. They have rifle pistol and sporting clays. Imperial is a prpoer trap and skeet field with a 5 stand thrown in. Is there a place called Top Hat Refuge down yalls way. Thought they had some paid hunts, but its been a while since i have been south.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:03 pm

ive never done a paid dove hunt, been fortunate enough to go shoot them at a buddys place in hardee. we didn't shoot at all last year, the few years before that we shot a few times in the second and third phase. they never do 1st phase/

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 pm

I have allways hunted public WMA for dove birds with good degree of success. I wouldnt mind paying a fee for a quality hunt. JUst seems like all the paid hunts are very spendy for a day or half day hunt. I like to have a few birds to putg in the smoker to go with other game that gets to close.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:37 pm

OK, just talked to FWC and they said all public dove fields will be cut starting as soon as today through next week so they will be ready for Sat the 2nd Oct. opening day!! Be sure your Dove permit is current and you have the WMA permit on your license.

tempus
scout

Post by tempus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks Drgn4sr for posting that info on page 2 of this thread. I hunted at Kate Boulos place on Saturday and maxed out on dove. There were about 18 hunters and we randomly drew for stands. Honestly I don't think there was a bad stand and the guides told you where to expect the birds to come from at each stand. She had a great spread of grilled ribs, chicken and all the trimmings that we pigged out on before heading to the field. It was a real southern hospitality hunt with my setter having fun playing with the pointer pups she had on site. I highly recommend this hunt and the food was worth an hour drive.

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:27 pm

I am glad to help. wish I had the xtra $$$ to go myself. maybe later. maybe we hook up and burn some shells.

JS Hunt
scout

Post by JS Hunt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Hey Tempus!!!

Did the same hunt on Saturday. Never dove hunted before, had a great time.

Fun hunt with great people ...and all the BBQ you can eat. What else can you ask for.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:35 am

there is a place with a number up on hwy 60 near turkey creek. they offer quail, dove, pheasant, and hog hunts. i prefer wma hunting however as there are plenty of oppurtunities. i am going to scout ocala this weekend, and in afternoon dove hunt is in order. If you read the wma brochures almost everyone of them allows migratory bird hunting i did some october dove hunting last year in richloam. got dinner and pissed off some archery hunters, but that is life on the wmas.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:59 pm

I did the lake delancy area last week and only nite time deer and daytime bears. spent 3 days duckin' and dodgin' the rain. mosquitos-yes. no see'ums-yes. otherwise the answer is NO.

tempus
scout

Post by tempus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:16 am

JSHunt- I know you did. I think you were sitting right next to me.

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:21 am

im going to Royce this saturday, anyone ever hunt there before? Been on two dove hunts my entire life, first one was in georgia a couple decades ago, dove were everywhere.
Last year I got a dove hunt at Punta gorda, only saw like 5 doves the entire time! :(
New season coming up!

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”