dove hunting

Discuss Quail, Dove, and Snipe Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: dove hunting

Post by nachogrande » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:37 pm

uh oh what card is that? I got my 5th sales reciept looking type license, that what your talking about? I heard they where going to make some changes but of course they are not in the 2011-2012 hunting guide.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

davedirt
Ordeal
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by davedirt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 pm

where and when????
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:33 pm

nacho, its just the free stamp (not really a stamp anymore) needed to shoot migratory game birds. Picked it up at the wal mart. You were the one that suggested everyone make sure it was up to date, becasue of the odd expiration date. And thanks for the heads up up mine had expired.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:36 pm

davedirt sent you a pm

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:34 pm

OK. gun, shells, license, clean undies- good to go. see you guys in the am.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 pm

Good luck tomorrow guys and see you all around 11:00 am....

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:44 am

I hope you'll have a good time, the weather is right. Looking forward to a report and some pics of the field.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Hunt Report: Nacho, Wingshooter and I had a great time. They arrived earlier than I, I was running late and had a great spot picked out. Started hunting around 1:00 pm and stayed until about 6:30 pm, could have stayed later, but decided to leave. We shot 15 doves between the three of us, and recovered 13, the guys stationed next to us picked up a couple of our birds. About 40 or so hunters on about 20 hundred acres, if I had to guess. Doves were flying good, not to high and we only missed about another 15 or 20 that we should have been able to kill but missed. All in all we had a great time, swapped some lies, shot some birds, and had a great time hanging out on the dove field. Next hunt scheduled for Novermber 5th and December 3rd. $60.00 per person, bring your gun, ammo, food, drink and hunting gear. They are having hunts every Saturday during phases 1-3... We figured the first hunt per phase would be the best ones to shoot at. PM me for directions, address and telephone contact for the farmer who holds the hunts.

Beautiful day and a great group of guys to be in the outdoors with... And yes, 20 gauges kill doves just fine... I doubled once..

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:49 am

G.B. was top gun and had much better eyesight than me. a beautiful day with a nice breeze and low humidity helped us from roasting (glad I brought my gardening straw hat/sombrero) and no insect problems. first time I ever owned or fired a 20 ga. a Remington 1100 light 20 semi a silky smooth action fast with practically no recoil. knocked some feathers off one with the first shot but had trouble with them on the wing/long shots. for me I think low brass # 8's with 20 ga was a little light, next time high brass 7 1/2's. some great shots made by wingshooter and Rob, nothing spectacular by me but I'm just glad I was able to hold onto the gun and not drop it when fired. I did bag the most watermelons and wingshooter was the best tap dancer. GB and I missed 6 shots at one directly over our heads at like 20-25', worst shooting of the day. had fun and got to use up some old ammo I had hanging around a long time. not overcrowded, a decent amount of doves that will only increase as the weather cools I think, but I kinda doubt they will be flying as low after being shot at a while. I'd go there again for sure.

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Nice....I'll try and make one of those.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Tap dancer ?? What the ?!?!? Oh you mean the soft shoe number i performed to get ...never mind, glad you thought i was the best. Had a great time in the filed and was able to spend it with a couple of good guys. Hope to do it again soon.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:02 pm

I can't wait to do it again... It was a great day and thanks gents for a awesome time!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 am

i hunted the last two sundays of phase one and limited out both days. had a blast. took my six yr old with me and he killed his first bird the first hunt and he killed another one unassisted on his second hunt and is HOOKED! i shot my model 96 the first hunt and broke out the 1100 light 20, which was a lot of fun to shoot. i burned up a lot of shells with the auto. i was advised to use a skeet choke for the mid range and close birds, and that helped out a lot. might tighted it up for the next hunt to see if i can actually knock down the birds that are further out. anyways, had a blast. cant wait til phase 2.

Return to “QUAIL, DOVE, & SNIPE HUNTING FORUM”