Waterfowl legalities

Discuss all your Duck Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Waterfowl legalities

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 pm

What do I need to be legal to hunt ducks? I admit I have hunted since I was in diapers, but never duck hunted.

Now, getting up at midnight and driving across the state to sit in line at an STA doesn't really appeal to me. What I would like to do is shoot ducks that come into these big cypress ponds on my lease. Mostly woodies, and especially later in the winter.

I understand the shotgun needs to be plugged, and you need steel shot. Got that covered. I posses a sportsman's gold license. What other licenses do I need to be legal?

Next question: If I walk into one of these ponds and shoot into some ducks, are they going to scatter and my shoot be over? Or should me and my buddy get on each side of the pond and shoot together, to keep them flying like you do on a dove field?
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Waterfowl legalities

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Gun.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Waterfowl legalities

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:Gun.
Thanks for summing it up for me....... :smartass
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Waterfowl legalities

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:21 pm

;)

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Federal duck stamp and state duck stamp, steel shot.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:25 pm

make sure you have a plug in the gun so you can only get three shells one in the chamber two in the tube.

learn you ducks. I have not duck hunted in 10 years

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Migratory stamp , federal duck stamp , steel shot , make sure your gun is plugged . 3 shots only . Once you shoot purty much it . You need to hunt with me and Chuck , but might need a freighter to take us in . LMAO . seriously I will let you know when it's time to apply , anyways me and Chuck need more permit suckers . Only allowed 2 woodies per person
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Migratory stamp , federal duck stamp , steel shot , make sure your gun is plugged . 3 shots only . Once you shoot purty much it . You need to hunt with me and Chuck , but might need a freighter to take us in . LMAO . seriously I will let you know when it's time to apply , anyways me and Chuck need more permit suckers . Only allowed 2 woodies per person
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Lmao I took Chuck fishin a few weeks ago and couldn't get the boat to even think about planing with him up front!!

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:25 pm

down4dacount wrote:Migratory stamp , federal duck stamp , steel shot , make sure your gun is plugged . 3 shots only . Once you shoot purty much it . You need to hunt with me and Chuck , but might need a freighter to take us in . LMAO . seriously I will let you know when it's time to apply , anyways me and Chuck need more permit suckers . Only allowed 2 woodies per person
BINGO. Great advice. WARNING its addictive. I had my first year of it last year. Been thinking and planning for the next season ever since!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:30 pm

fishindad wrote:
down4dacount wrote:Migratory stamp , federal duck stamp , steel shot , make sure your gun is plugged . 3 shots only . Once you shoot purty much it . You need to hunt with me and Chuck , but might need a freighter to take us in . LMAO . seriously I will let you know when it's time to apply , anyways me and Chuck need more permit suckers . Only allowed 2 woodies per person
BINGO. Great advice. WARNING its addictive. I had my first year of it last year. Been thinking and planning for the next season ever since!
If you think ducks is addicting try turkey hunting . If you apply for any quotas down South for your boy and need help let me know . If I'm not out guiding my son on his birds , I can help you personally or point you in the right direction .
ShotKam Prostaff

Return to “DUCK HUNTING FORUM”